Metriaclima Sp. "Zebra Gold Charo".

300Magnum

I picked up these fish last night.  The seller wasn't 100% sure what they were but I am pretty sure they are Metriaclima Sp. "Zebra Gold Charo".  The male is on the bottom and the female is the top one (and she is holding :clap).  The colours are a bit off in the photo as I took them after they had been travelling in the bag for 45 mins.......they look much better this morning and are a great goldish colour.  From what I can find, there are not too many of these around, so I am hoping that I can get some fry from the current mouthful.  Any information on these will be appreciated.....let me know what you think of them (I will try and get some better photos tomorrow)

Gold Zebra.jpg

I spoke to the guy last night when I picked up the Royal whiptail

tanks was dim and looked like it could have been Gold Charo

he said he got them from NSWCS auction a couple of years back

all the Charo I remember auctioning had the dark chin and throat

was in a mixed tank with Jacobs, Trout, female Livingstoni and Zonatum

send Ad Konings an email with pics and he will answer you

Responded to this on QLDAF but will post here too...

The fish are most definetly not "Gold Charo" and don't even remotely resemble the species.. Fish pictured are hybrids - likely Lombardoi x.

Unfortunately when crossed fish are bought often the owner breed them and sells them based on what they look like - hence why we have so many mongrel fish around.

Gold Charos are much more slender in the body, have a dark brown to black head (males) with distinct dark brown to black bars, predominantly black anal, black ventral and pectorals. Not sure how the two could even for an instant be confused.

6 hours ago, none said:

Responded to this on QLDAF but will post here too...

The fish are most definetly not "Gold Charo" and don't even remotely resemble the species.. Fish pictured are hybrids - likely Lombardoi x.

Unfortunately when crossed fish are bought often the owner breed them and sells them based on what they look like - hence why we have so many mongrel fish around.

Gold Charos are much more slender in the body, have a dark brown to black head (males) with distinct dark brown to black bars, predominantly black anal, black ventral and pectorals. Not sure how the two could even for an instant be confused.

I disagree.....I breed Lombardoi and I can say that they are not a Lombardoi hybrid.  They are a lot bigger and chunkier and look more like zebras.  Based on my research, there seems to be two variants of the gold zebra.  One is the more traditional with the black face and barring, and the other variant is the one that looks like mine (ie more gold with little black).  Check out the below URL's.......mine look identical to these:

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=26791

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=40570

Here are some more pics.  

Also, have been doing more research. There appears to be a few different variations of the Gold Zebra (Charo, Lion's Cove, Nkhata Bay, Chirombo Point).  The ones from Lion's Cove and Chirombo Point seem to have less black and looks almost identical to my one.  I think people may be mis-labeling all "gold zebras" as Charos, hence causing confusion.

The pic in the link from this forum below looks almost identical to mine.  Anyway, have a look at my pics

20161015_104659_resized_2.jpg

20161015_104938_resized_2.jpg

20161015_105242_resized_3.jpg

20161015_104652_resized_2.jpg

If you do a very basic google search for Zebra Charo -  or look in an Ad Konings book you will see 100's of pics of  'Gold Charo. Exclude the Australian photos and they all look basically the same.  I have dealt with the differences in the males above (complete difference) so I'll address your female.  Female Charos are brown with thin dark brown bars and a brown jaw and usually most of the head. They (like the males) are slender compared to Lombardoi etc.  They are not anything like your female. As I said on QLDAF - a male P. saulosi changing from juvenile to adult (so yellow showing bars) would be closer to a Charo than your hybrids. In the top fish I can see Lombardoi  and  Hongi in - lower fish Lombardoi and Tropheps. Age of Aquariums pointed out Williamsi which I didn't pick up on but particularly after seeing your more recent photos may well be correct. This is the problem that has destroyed the industry. People buy an unknown fish - choose what it is - and on-sell the fry to others.

Also Lions Cove are far from identical to yours. People that pay $40 - $60 each for juveniles of rare species like these don't easily forget what they have and sell them as unknowns. This will be my final post on the topic. I just hope we don't end up with hybrids getting around again being sold as one of these species...

Perhaps if the the NSW customer that bought my colonies is a forum member they may like to upload some pics of both to end this...?

if you saying williamsi blue lips :( nope

what ever the fish is ...only thing i can suggest is  ..it was sold to you as unkown or a maybe ....so i would not put a name on it and breed it and sell to public..but for your self as an experiment grow the fry out and see the results...those fish look old and tired see what the fry will look like....

but until you are 100% sure they fall under UNKOWN or Hybrid :)

1 minute ago, LithoMan said:

if you saying williamsi blue lips :( nope

what ever the fish is ...only thing i can suggest is  ..it was sold to you as unkown or a maybe ....so i would not put a name on it and breed it and sell to public..but for your self as an experiment grow the fry out and see the results...those fish look old and tired see what the fry will look like....

but until you are 100% sure they fall under UNKOWN or Hybrid :)

Just to clarify - age of aquariums suggested Lombardi x Tropheops x Williamsi hybrids - just in case my above post suggested pure which as you state most certainly not!

None...thanks for your replies.  You need to relax a little and not make assumptions on what I plan to do.  The whole reason for posting this on the forum is so that I can correctly ID the fish.  There are pics on this forum of other very similar fish labeled as Gold Zebras.  I was hoping that MikeW would respond, as he was selling these previously.  His photos look very similar to mine.

I think the male looks awesome, and i can always put him in my display tank for pure display purposes.

You are welcome Magnum and I was making no assumptions - and nothing personal -  simply responding to your posts on both forums as well as addressing the scourge that is hybrids being sold as something they are not. Indeed it will make a perfect display fish - just not a breeder.

"After doing some research I am pretty sure these are Metriaclima Sp. "Zebra Gold Charo".  Not many of these around from what I can tell but they are a great looking fish.  I should hopefully have a batch of fry soon." 300Magnum

8 minutes ago, JPM1976 said:

They are Gold Charo 100%

Thanks JPM1976.....do you have any photos that you can post of the ones to used to breed?  The guy i bought them off said he got them from the NSWCS auctions so these may be from your lot?? 

8 minutes ago, JPM1976 said:

They are Gold Charo 100%

I'm not so sure , beautiful fish none the less . I had F1 Gold Charos , my male was typical of most google images out there . Yours not so much as it's lacking the dark colouring for whatever reason , doesn't mean it's not  . If the person says he bought them through the auction as Gold Charo , it's not likely he can mistake them as anything else or would forget . Are there / was there any other variants of the gold zebras around in Australia ? 

16 minutes ago, Brez said:

Are there / was there any other variants of the gold zebras around in Australia ? 

That's what I was thinking.  The standard google images don't look like these, but a lot of the photos from the Australian forums (some of which I have included above) seem to look very similar to these.  Perhaps there is another variety of Zebra Gold that is different to the "charo" colourings???

17 hours ago, 300Magnum said:

Thanks JPM1976.....do you have any photos that you can post of the ones to used to breed?  The guy i bought them off said he got them from the NSWCS auctions so these may be from your lot?? 

Yeah mate if he got them from there at the time i think i was the only one selling these. I bought the colony through the NSWCS and they came from Andrew from Labirynth i will have to check if i have and pics as i havent had these for around 3 years now.

Archived