Birchardi

Bradc

Anyone had success keeping a breeding pair of these in any type of setup other then species only tank or tang tank? 

Mate has a breeding pair and shutting down hes tank and want to know if i want them. Id like them though im not buying another tank and only other setups i have are my 3ft mbuna tank and my 4x2x2 display peacock and hap tank.

Ive seen how savage these buggers can be when breeding and dont really wanna have fin nipping or all my existing fish backed up in a corner. 

Cheers in advance for the input

Brichardi are relentless in the defence of their spawn. I have maintained pairs in the past in large mixed Malawi tanks and they do a surprisingly good job at defending their young in the face of some pretty serious Malawi predators. The interesting thing is as the young grow they will also aid in the defence of the younger fry! Pretty cool to watch but they have a nasty habit of being so good at fry defence that they can become plague like in some situations. 

If I set up another 8 foot display tank with mixed Africans, I wouldn't hesitate in adding another pair. In a 4 footer, I probably wouldn't.

Yeah i seen chucks video where they were going crazy stopping anything and everything and then he put in the bigger tank and they got eaten lol. I really like the look of them and was mainly thinkinf that my haps could pick off some of their young as a supplement feeding in a way. But i dont wanna have all my fish im going to have in my 4fter bailed in a corner 

Archived