Food

Bradc

Whats everyone's preference on foods that promote growth and color. Obviously other factors contribute to growth but food based whats everyones go to food groups. Ive got mbuna haps and peacocks. Also best fry food got my 1st batch and ive just been crushing the pellets into pretty much a powder. At the moment im using just the api african cichlid pellet in 2mm

Ive just bought some hikari carnivorous mimi pellet for the haps and peacocks and my red face tapajos. Im going to buy some of that sera veggie mix with the tropheus and fuelleborni on the front of it for my mbuna. Ive wanted to try the dianichi but locally its hard to come by so when i order some fish off livefish.com.au ill order some for the haps and peacocks. What do you guys prefer out of the range in that? Ive heard nls is bad for water clarity so ive stayed clear of that. The api pellet im using every fish ive got loves it but trying to mix it up abit and see results of other foods

I only use two pellets these days Otohime Hirame, which I now buy in 20kg bags, so probably not much good to you, and Fishwerx "gold". 

Both quality pellets at a very affordable price. 

A 20kg bag of Otohime just cost me $278 shipped to my door. That is $13.90/Kg. 

Otohime is great stuff. 

At ~14% of the cost of Hikari Carnivore that I was previously using it is a god send. Much cleaner, and fish pass far less waste. Also have to feed only about 60% by weight of what I was previously using with Carni' and no smell. Got to love it. 

Their larval feed also gets a very good wrap online. 

On 10/3/2016 at 7:03 PM, Alex said:

I only use two pellets these days Otohime Hirame, which I now buy in 20kg bags, so probably not much good to you, and Fishwerx "gold". 

Both quality pellets at a very affordable price. 

A 20kg bag of Otohime just cost me $278 shipped to my door. That is $13.90/Kg. 

where do you buy it from?

No dramas. Keep in mind that when buying 20kg at a time (depending on how quickly you use it) it is best to store the feed in a fridge - I store mine at my mums place as she has a big cool room at her house so it gets around this issue for me, I just take as I need. Freezing it in a chest freezer has the potential to denature the proteins and make the food 'no good'. I got my 20kg bag yesterday, it is a lot of food. Got it delivered to work and it raised some eye brows in the office. 

To give an idea of how little of this feed actually needs to get fed I feed on average one large shot glass (double shot) to my whole 8x3 a day - Inhabitants are 10 peacock bass 30-40cm and 3 stingrays around 30cm in disk diam'. So big hungry fish. All fish are growing well and never appear underfed. I also take one day a week off feeding. 

After a few days of switching from NLS to Extreme Peewee, I have noticed something and that is water clarity, I was going to bed last night and walked past my 7foot tank and thought the water looked much clearer than normal.  I usually feed my fish around 6pm and with NLS it takes an hr or two for the water to return to its normal clarity.  The second thing I noticed is my filter socks, I have some 100 micron mesh socks which were fine when my fish were smaller but they will overflow in roughly 24hrs, to elaborate an 8” filter sock will raise its level due to flow restriction/blockage by 4 or 5 inches, and sometimes in the 24hr period they will overflow.  I still use the 100 micron socks for water polishing purposes, but with the Extreme Peewee, the filter sock raised its level by roughly 1cm in 24hrs.

I did not buy the Extreme food for any other reason than that it was roughly 5 dollars cheaper than NLS and the package has approx. 200 more grams of food, I also thought Buccal was a bit of a nutter when he spoke of NLS and filter/blockage problems, but it appears that he was right.

I do not understand the how or why but Buccal is right!

That doesn't mean Buccal is not a nutter though :lol2:

Personally I think the issue with NLS isn't the end result of the fish waste so much as a fine powdery residue on the pellets.  I have no real science behind this theory, mind you, it is just what I think I observed.  NLS for mine, was notorious for having powdery stuff left in the bottom of buckets which I don't see from most other pelleted food.  When you're feeding small fish this is fine as they will actually feed on tiny stuff drifting around.  When feeding larger fish, massive problem.

Archived