ID

Bradc

So my missus was in sydney last night and while she was there out of the blue she stopped into a fish store and asked for malawi peacocks and haps. And she bought these 4 i know what 2 are but no idea what the other 2 are. Now im not a big fan of buying fish you dont know of but there was no way and i mean no way in hell i was going to question the missus on her actions haha and the fact she knows im setting up a peacock and hap tank at the moment of mainly malawis and asked for this at the fish shop in sydney and drove 5 hours home with them cements the fact shes a keeper but anyway anyone know what they are? Im guessing hybrids though. Sorry the tank looks terrible had to quickly scrap the glass and do a water change on my fry/quarantine tank so i could put them thereas my big tank they are going into is still cycling 

20160922_192442.jpg

20160922_192429.jpg

the dark fish is Aulonacara maylandi and needs some TLC

bottom pic left looks like Aulonacara stuartgranti Maleri gold

blue fish looks like elect blue X peacock most likely one of those coloured at 5cm mixed Africans

OB is hybrid peacock

Yeah the black 1 looks like it may have pop eye. Whats the best cure for that? Also they are going into an all male tank they will never breed can guarantee that.

Gotta be nice seeing as the wife done it out of good gesture lol

On 09/23/2016 at 11:51 AM, Bradc said:

Yeah the black 1 looks like it may have pop eye. Whats the best cure for that? Also they are going into an all male tank they will never breed can guarantee that.

Gotta be nice seeing as the wife done it out of good gesture lol

Lithobates have big eyes, likely normal.

Deep water poop eaters :)

So yea if they didn't have big eyes they would not be able to see s**t and would go hungry!

The dark one's colouring does look like the Maylandi I have, that one is very skinny though.

It probably isn't the lithobates from Zimbabwe rocks which is more blue, there is a darker one around recently that is the only other possibility. If it doesn't have the 3 spot melanin pattern when stressed, most likely a skinny maylandi.

I'd be calling that a hybrid, side on pic, nose is to blunt and round for lithobate so makes people think maylandi,, but has a elongated body just like the lithobate with the obvious color.

I have German lines,, and my lithos have much more protruded noses with a squarer jaw line.

I hate to say this,, but that appears to me as a dead fish swimming,, it's possible it has first stage showings of a gram-negative bacterial infection,,, color loss, milky eyes, beginning of weight loss,, likely hangs back at feeding time, but may still be eating a little bit for now.

No one should be getting to confused at determining difference between a litho and a maylandi, because they are not really a similar fish except for coloration.

This type of thing will likely increase in time for obvious reasons of new laws,,, but I have noticed there are some great breeders around oz that are really doing some great things, and I feel better that there are people now I can see that seem to be in it for the long haul,,,,.  ??

16 hours ago, malawi sand diver said:

The dark one's colouring does look like the Maylandi I have, that one is very skinny though.

It probably isn't the lithobates from Zimbabwe rocks which is more blue, there is a darker one around recently that is the only other possibility. If it doesn't have the 3 spot melanin pattern when stressed, most likely a skinny maylandi.

The darker one I think is labeled as a varient with the extra name added .      "Midnight"

5 hours ago, Buccal said:

I hate to say this,, but that appears to me as a dead fish swimming,, it's possible it has first stage showings of a gram-negative bacterial infection,,, color loss, milky eyes, beginning of weight loss,, likely hangs back at feeding time, but may still be eating a little bit for now.

Ill take another picture tonight buccal but color is coming back very dark and vibrant and is the 1st to food when feed. I mean im not saying your wrong especially as i have no idea what that disease is. Is it transferable to other fish in the tank is there a treatment if its been in the tank whats the best way to rid it. But anyway ill take another picture and see what you reckon. Seems to be doing alot better after a few doses of melafix and added some white spot remover as i thought it looked liked it had ich but yeah

I don't speak in a sense of being wrong or right, or even for you to be worried.

I mention this, you take it, and do what you like with it, (the info that is).

Ive been keeping fish a long time now, I got so, so, so many out the back,,, I get the odd one like that here and there, I catch them out and throw them as hard as I can against the ground,,,,,.    Split second lights out.

Fish become weakened by lowered immune systems from many things,,,, things that aquarists do wrong and things that are just natural and no fault of the keeper,,, like age, aggression and over-breeding.

A fish that has been subjected to over feeding of white crane color foods which damages the liver and shortens life of fish which is another possible scenario,,, don't go extreme and think whitecrane is bad either,, because it's a tool and used in correct moderation is amazing for display tanks with no need to breed them,,,,, I certainly use it as a tool in my display.

All I'm saying is,, don't let yourself become over sensitive removing yourself from reality,,,, and I'm not saying your doing that either, hah ha.

People start getting funny when we start talking about killing fish.....   ??

Nah i couldnt care less i hunt,fish etc and have been known to get rid of the odd neighborhoodcat for wee wEEing in the front garden so a fish i just bought isnt a worry haha..

Just saying it seems to be eating fine and eyes are alot clearer as ive been doing water changes every 2nd day as i read thats the best way to help what i thought was popeye. The disease you mentioned is it contagious etc and no cure obviously? If its going to affect my tank ill remove it as soon as i get home its only in a quarantine tank but im going to use it for fry and dont want my fry dying off because i didnt remove this fish sooner

No mate, not contagious, though it's amazing how people easily think it is,,,, because when there's a issue with the tank causing disease,,, it must be remembered that all the fish are subjected to the same issue, and they all will not get sick at a perfect syncrinized timing.

Because I'm commercial and got plenty of stock which I generate myself, it's simply a waiste of time to attend to, and most aren't ideal breeders after treatments,, if the fish isn't in good numbers in breed room, then I obviously try to get them good.

Most diseases take a lot of explaining, fast quick questions fine, but Google will feed your brain better than any other.

Doesnt matter how good fish keeper you are, there's always low numbers of disease ready to populate when your water quality degrades,,,,,,, REMEMBER, you don't keep the fish !,,. You keep the water, and the water keeps the fish.  ?☺️

Alright perfect mate. Like i said originally the missus bought it from a fish shop in sydney around the saint marys area on thursday that photo is of that day so is what it is.

Ill prob end up removing it tonight before i go away for a few days.

Well went to sydney for 3 nights got back today and the black and yellow sulphur head lithobate or what ever we agreed it was, well it was dead. I got home Wednesday and was planning on removing it anyway but forgot and yeah was dead today. Went into the aquarium that the wife got them from, inch long red empress fully colored up alot of fish looking pretty ill. Pointed it out to the wife she said she wont be surprising me with fish anymore haha .. 

So you saying the fish were looking not good at the shop when your misus picked up a replacement ???

Sometimes (only a experienced person can tell) is that bunches of mature fish get traded in into shops,, so you can be buying someone else's fish that are effected from history tellings.

That shop has nothing but coloured fish only thing I buy there is frozen brine and that's very rarely unless its urgent.fish there are 3-4cm fully coloured every fish in one tank is fully coloured.I very highly doubt its the history of the adults of the fish.

Sent from my 5017A using Tapatalk

Otherwise the shop keepers should of picked it up.either said no to the seller or kept it in a hospital tank and nursed it back to recovery

Sent from my 5017A using Tapatalk

If it was a lithobate, or a mloto midnight, surely no one here would be surprised if juiced up peacocks killed it?

I mean these are totally chill fish, even compared to peacocks. Yes the "apache peacock" yellow crest peacock hybrids can be super aggro, but midnights and bates do not handle being around more aggro fish so well. Surround them with smaller or more chill fish and they will be beautiful. Let them get constantly intimidated and threatened and they will wither and die.

Never got a replacement missus just took me to where she bought them so she could show me where she got them etc.

Fish wasnt looking bad before we left but was removing from the quarantine tank as you pointed out it looked like a dead fish swimming.

It was the largest in the quarantine tank and seemed to be the aggressor for most of the time.

Wont be buying anything from there again

And im uncertain if the other juiced peacocks did kill it but they definitely picked at its remains so hard to tell if i was beaten up or just died. 

All the others the wife got have started to lose their color as well. 

Archived