Trapped gasses

Bradc

Is there any tricks to preventing build up of gasses in a sand substrate? Have sand sifters like geos etc will that prevent it or can u just poke a fork into the substrate? Dont really wanna have to stir it up if i dont have to

It's likely you waste (crap) caught under substrate, which isn't end of the world, but long term it will generate bad bacterias that are responsible for many diseases.

A few geos (not hump head or braziliensis) certainly works a treat,,, but most often than not, when I see these issues that people have ,, it's more due to substrate being to thick,, it only needs to be a 1cm thick or as thin as you can make it.

Geos sand sifting all day keeps sand uniform looking or leveled out,, but slight alterations are needed till you get it right,, your best of with males only, because breeding activity slows the duties of sand sifting, it may start pit digging in prep for fry.

Tapajo, horse face, Sureminensis or any of the Rio types,,, not just theses types, but all the ones that look similar like these.

Clown loaches and pakastani loaches, good size ones, really get that stuff in hard to get places,,, packing your tank with foragers can serve great results,,, my display is packed with foragers,, maybe 12 species, most nocturnal-ish.

My speciew list will be.

Geophagus tapajos x4 maybe 6

Driftwood cat

6 emrald corys

3 or 4 pictus

Maybe 4 clowns im unsure on this yet.

And a pleco of some type.

Im hoping this will help with cleaning up as well as making the tank look impressive 

Yes mate, I think so to,,  those inhabitants should well give you a self kept tank.

For water directional flow, try to get a total tank circulation turning slow (the turbulence in tank),,, a good setting would be, so if you dropped 1mm sinking spectrum pellet to bottom, it very slowly moves from one side to the other side,,,, as this helps stop waste settling  into substrate.     Keep it suspended in water column for your filter to do its job.

Woods in there for ever link haha.

There is about 6 inches so 15cm enough to reach in and clean and remove rocks etc but my drift wood is stuck. Its rather large though.

I wish i could of gone a little higher but i would of been on my roof.

Just have to invest in some substrate for the top tank now looking at caribsea its the peacock and hap tank and im done fill with watet and wait.

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Buccal said:

For water directional flow, try to get a total tank circulation turning slow (the turbulence in tank),,, a good setting would be, so if you dropped 1mm sinking spectrum pellet to bottom, it very slowly moves from one side to the other side

I bought a power head for this tank thinking i would need it.. well i might still need one but geez not the 1 i bought puts so much fkow in the tank nearly rips my plants out. Great for Africans not so much these guys

Hah ha, Yes quite powerful, they are designed not to pump water, but to move it by pushing it.

Your better off buying two or three small size ones,, this way you have more control over flow areas and sections, for example, you face all three from one end to the other, a little dead spot occurs, you then slightly directly direct one towards to rectify dead spot,,,,,, 

Archived