Side drop for 6'x2'(h)x18"(w) , feasible ?

Brez

Currently I'm running 4 sponge filters and a power head filter mostly for circulation . Am I dreaming to think an air driven side drop will be a viable conversion / filtration method on such a big tank ? Bio load isn't huge at the moment , multifaciatus colony of about 20 varying sizes , 25 Frontosa fry and a few small peppermints . After the frontosa have grown and been sold Plans are to change to a finer substrate , add some leilupi orange , and possibly another species ( any suggestions ) 

image.jpeg

What sort of flow rate are we talking about for a tank that size  Lloyd ? As my tanks multiply I'm keen to run side drop filters so will move to one big pump to run the lot 

It all depends on your bioload.

I've seen contoured & coloured fish sponge backgrounds sold overseas that had several aquarium heater holes. Just slide your heater in to hide it perfectly and let the rising heat pull water through the sponge slowly. Important the sponge stays wet to avoid burning though. 

23 hours ago, Brez said:

What sort of flow rate are we talking about for a tank that size  Lloyd ? As my tanks multiply I'm keen to run side drop filters so will move to one big pump to run the lot 

I havent worked out flow rate however i have 2 x lp100s running 15 tanks with side drops easily. Enough flow to see it circulating the 6ft easily

I used them on my 72x18x18 tanks and that went great. Crap will get caught around all you decor, but if you vacuum the floors you will be fine.

Archived