Replacing salousi.

Bradc

I bought 6 salousi a while back and im losing interest in them to be honest everytime i think i have a nice ratio atleast 2 more turn blue. So im thinking of getting something else to complete my mbuna tank. I have 4 fuelleborni 1m3f 3 yellow labs no idea what ratio 3 hongi all males as i bought as juvies and online so i didnt really have a say, would like 2 kick 2 males and get 2 females, there are haps and 1 peacock in the tank but they all will be coming out in 6 to 8 weeks and going into a tank more suitable. Now my question is what are some suggestions on some nice mbuna to restock with? I was thinking maybe some mpanga or demasoni but open to other suggestions. 

Demasoni are my favourite fish , but they can be extremely aggressive for such a small fish . Get 1 or get atleast 20+ if you must have them or have plenty of target fish would be my advice 

Just the aggression mate. Ive had the dominant salousi kill other males so get rid of the sub males everything will be ok 2 more start to turn to males dominant male will kill 1 so ive taken that dominant male out replaced with what i thought were females then bang 2 subs start turning blue then 1 will be killed or kill the other male. Just a craP fight so if i keep ratios or even 1m1f or 2f aggression dies down alot every plays nice so to speak

And on top of that im kinda over salousi in my tank and want abit of a change got them because bloke down the road breeds them and i was fairly new to cichlids and wanted something other then yellow labs which seems to be the only african people breed up here. So now im just changing it up. With maybe the mentioned or acei or something thats why im after suggestions lol

Im not worried about aggression to be honest ive had these six in there for 5 months now and they just chase each other and none have killed each other but they are only small males when they get bigger probably kill off each other i dunno as i said though im just over them to be honest they're not great quality either and i was hoping to find out some other nice mbuna i might not have seen or considered. If i keep good ratios like i have in the past i seem to be able to keep the peace between all species and i get a few fry from them mates give me some beer money for the fry and everyones happy.

With a lot of species,,, their true showings of quality only presents when your water chemistry is correct and all fish aren't stressed due to aggression,,,,, it's easy to get a single species breeding colony fairly happy,, but once species are mixed, a whole combination of issues resulting in stress.

Stress is a huge factor that a lot of people under estimate,,, stress is a result of so many things, from water quality, water chem, aggression, filtration, temps, foods, and it just keeps going.

If your mixing species in small tanks (especially mbuna), then structures and segregated territories are what's required,, basically so that 2-3 males can flaunt without seeing each other,,,,.   Get creative, if your already not that is.

People don't often say they're losing interest in a fish type when those fish are in magnificent glowing health.   More Often than not.

Parameters test fine i bought a gh kh tester they are spot on fresh veggies and high quality pellet food. 

Im literally after a change. I cant see how people done have a change of heart in what they want in a display tank.

Ive got other oranges and blues that are very similar and the salousi are my least favorite. Im not binning these fish or selling im just moving from my display tank and putting them in my sons 40g.

Anyway thanks for everyones suggestions.

Archived