Suggestions for coating diy caves and background

JohnnyGeelong

01bb803cff1dad05ca191fd385b8d142.jpg9d34baa5efd2ded51ef5cb71f7bd9f32.jpg70e65a0d65fe5ac1f7ac09c1b1c09474.jpg

My son and I have been creating these caves, we have had fun [emoji3] its for a 5x2x2 . There are lots of small and large caves and a few swim through tunnels as well . We are planning on putting cichlids in we just dont know which type yet . From what i have researched so far most people seem to cover them with concrete doing a few light coats also putting in tint for colouring . I understand it will raise ph and need to do a few cycles of the tank empty water and repeat. before putting fish in making sure ph has stabilised .

Can you just paint with arylic paint instead ?

Or does the concrete harden the foam and make it last a longer time . Never done this before so open to any suggestions thanks in advance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many use ormanoid (bitumous paint) and literally throw the sand/earth/substrate you want on while its still wet. Allow to dry then repeat until you get the thickness and texture you desire.

A heat gun lets you melt/carve less artificial lines but not as safe for younger kids.

Don't forget about the tank cross braces when designing and use big glue dollops, not long thin streaks. And lots of glue. I've seen backgrounds pop up, cracking cross braces and tanks falling apart all within minutes.

from the info I find it doesn't look acceptable for potable water

Bitkote No.3 appears to be what you are looking for

As a waterproofer to concrete water storage tanks, ponds etc.

Bitkote No. 3 has been tested and approved by State Water Laboratory for Potable Water in

accordance with AS 4020-1992.

it needs to have noted on the can that it is suitable for potable water (drinking water)

Yes that's the brand although I've only used a 20 L drum size that is quite thick. It smears on, wouldn't call it paintable. 

Once it dries, it won't leach oil into the water. It's similar to epoxy paint which is fairly hazardous but once set -  cured it is fine for fish. 

Do a test in bucket with fish if you unsure. Just make sure it has dried first.

I wonder if you could use quickset watercrete to seal it ? You'd have to make it a bit wetter to apply and would need multiple coats but the stuff is water safe and used alot in marine aquariums as a cement for creating rock structures.

• 6 months later...

Ended up using the betts bitumen rubber and coating with white and green sand , there is about 40 actual caves and about 20 swim through areas the largest caves are 115mm so the ciclids should have some fun in them , have had a few dramas with 2 of the backgrounds coming free and floating up have used a lot more silicone now and moved 2 of them up against the glass for support and area for gluing , hopefully these stay put then will add some artificial plants ,weighing up options for substrate either white coral sand or black Tahitian sand . Think the black will look good but won't have the ph buffering of the coral sand bbe2bb94c22a936b915f0c48a8ee2789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, most people under estimate the silicone glue needed. On a 5x2x2 tank, I'd use about 4 caulk gun tubes and  even more if your new to doing backgrounds. 

Fill any gaps as fish will sit behind the background - unless you dont mind. Baby fish can grow and breed several generations without ever being seen.

Archived