Equipment

Bradc

Ok so my tanks ive had built will be ready next weekend. Now ive got canister filters for them already and some bits and pieces but now i need to purchase the essentials. 2 tanks both 4x2x2. I need the following

lights,heaters,air pumps,substrate,power heads/wave makers.

Now im unsure if the best idea is to go to the LFS and as for them to a deal or go to ebay etc.

Also will a 300w heater be fine for these tanks obviously 1 each tank? And whats size LPH air pump would be idea to run these 2 tanks. Ive seen a couple of 400-600 LPH pumps with 4 out lets i was thinking that would be enough.

Using sand substrate in 1 of the tanks i was just gonna use pool filter sand for this. Is that a good option? What are people's thoughts on size grit of the sand? Going to run a sponge or stocking over the canisters pick up to try and stop it from getting into the filter and ruining it.

Other tank will just be a coral substrate or maybe some carib sea dunno yet.

Cheers for your thoughts people

Look up "Age of Aquariums" they will sort you out. mention your a member here and get a discount, plus they will beat any other shops price

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of LFS in Taree

is there one that you go to and just give him a list to quote up

online would most likely be the cheapest and possibly quickest way to source things

Age of Aquariums and Carmels Fishy Friends are sponsors on here so give them a go

lights I would go LED the 48" Worx unit I got from AoA works great on my 5x2x2 and the fish colours shine

heaters look at 2 x 250 or 300 watt units per tank so if one fails the other will back up

wavemakers maybe one of the others can recommend something as I don't remember what size ones I

put on the 5x18x18

air pump I would use seeing there are only the 2 tanks but they are 2ft deep would be something like

Resun ACO-003 electromagnetic pump

substrate that is your choice and also depends on the fish you want to keep

Just going to use pool filter sand for 1 tank as i plan on running geos and cats .. the other will be peacocks and a few haps and i was considering the carib sea as ive read its ment to boost cycle times and help combat new tank syndrome etc and allows for early addition of fish .. obviously checking parameters etc is the only true way but it isnt that much more expensive the coral substrate and you dont have to rinse which is always a plus. Ill get a list and go see the LFS and you are very correct there is 1 pet shop that has fish and than an aquarium they aren't to bad pretty helpful i guess. I seen some electromagnet ones on ebay ill have to price check against lfs.

Cheers for your help

Archived