Cycling

Bradc

Ill have my teir setup this weekend and ready to go, i wanna obviously cycle the tank as quick as possible as i have plans hence buying the teir. Now i only have 1 canister running in my house. My question is if i buy some new bio balls or ceramic rings and take 1 tray out of my cycled canister and add it to my sump and replace the old rings with new ones it it to much BB out of my canister in 1 hit? Dont exactly wanna risk crashing the 3fter i have running for no reason. Also if its ok how much faster would the teir cycle now having those rings added i know that ill know when my water tests fine and be patient etc but i lack time and patience.

Filter is an aqua one 1200 on a 3ft 200 litre tank. Cheers in advance

Lots of water changes on the lead up, then no water change day before.

Use existing tank water to fill new or at least 50% or more,, make sure both tanks remain stable 27'c for fastest results, and if keeping rift lake cichlids, get your KH in both tanks 10-12,,, keep airation up in both tanks heavy surface churning.

Your idea already is good ☺️

Oh, and get yourself a bottle of seachem prime and use as per instruction,,,, the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate will remain in water and show on your tests,,, but it will be rendered nontoxic to fish as the molecular structures are changed that stops the toxins from entering the fish,,,,, after a month of use you can slowly decrease use to nothing,,,,,.   Feed fish sparingly at this point of time also.

I agree with Buccal, a bottle of Seachem Prime is a must and also would benefit to have a bottle of Seachem Stability - It adds beneficial bacteria to the water and helps speed up your cycle, i use it in all new tanks for the first 7 days as per instructions on the bottle. Seachem also make AmGuard which is great for Ammonia spikes and emergencies. Also Safe by Seachem, it is just like Prime but far more concentrated. All great products and i now swear by them. Good luck!

14100549_10209087685682654_9093168651319333204_n.jpg

Yeah i use prime on every water change i do in my 3fter at the moment.

So i should be right to go ahead with the ceramic ring change out then? Im obviously going to leave sponges etc that in the canister in there plus my tank is heavy with rocks and an inch thick of substrate so BB is going to be all over them.

I have a couple of bottle of api quick start which ill add as well and thanks for the idea of old tank water i know it doesnt cary much BB but i never thought of the fact its already rid of chlorine etc.

I had carbon in my filter which im gonna toss as well and just run some bio media in there in its place i have some seacham matrix so its going in.

How much quicker would i expect it to cycle my last tank took about 5 weeks which wasnt a concern but now im kinda in a hurry to buy some fish before they are gone haha.

Also about 20% water changes on the existing tank buccal or more? I do 50 to 60% water changes in it weekly.

And ive never tested gh and kh before ive always used coral substrate and used bicarb at my water changes and i havent lost any fish in 12 months... well not from water quality anyway. Been told before (not sure how true) that substrate and bicarb should keep my water hard and stable.. like i said unsure just went been going from the free advice.

You let your head think fish when thinking of KH,,,, yes fish need it,,, but KH (carbonate levels), deplete through the process of the nitrogen cycle taking place,,, higher KH levels supports turbo charges your filters and allows higher populations of beneficial bacteria to exist.

Malawi fish's water chemistry requirements actually supports better conditions for heavier stocking being 27'c, high KH and good oxygen saturation levels.

If you can get these three things right, keep feeding down to every second day with light feeds, old water with charged media, dosed with prime, few hours of light a day for first week at feed time,,,,, then bang the fish all in,, generally it's the experienced that can only do this.    But prime does wonders,,, 

Normal regime water changes I do 30-40% weekly.

But 50-60% to get extra water into new tank is fine.

Far as KH goes, not worth speaking about unless it's tested with a kit, and tap water tested also.

Didnt even mattet anyway mate. Apparently no plumbing mobs local are open on the weekend and bunnings and masters didnt even know what a bulk head was. Not to impressed. So just kept on building my decorative teir for my 2 4x2x2. 

Went throughall their fittings they didnt have anything there to make anything up. Im a plant mechanic and fittings and pumps etc i can usually make it work but not this time .. all thing similar they had to a bulk head was in ag line snd the thread didnt match pvc fittings .. and the ag line fittings were dear as poison so ill just have to try port maquarie while im at work hopefully be able to slip off for half hour

Archived