Sump and teir setup

Bradc

I just bought on the weekend a 2 teir rack with a sump. Ive never used a sump or set one up was just wondering how to plumb it up 1 tank has 2 holes 1 in the weir setup in the base of it an another just up in the next chamber to the wier and the other tank has 3 holes 2 holes in the same spot as the others and 1 on the for right of the tank ill attach photos and one able to steer me in the right would be much appreciated 

20160822_182452.jpg

20160822_182440.jpg

Really hard to see from these photos.

Generally water will over flow down from the top tank to the next this will overflow down to the sump, from the sump a pump returns the water to the top tank.

There are other ways to setup it up like both tanks overflowing back to the sump directly and a split return to both tanks but this can be hard to balance.

Yeah sorry it was hard to try and get 1 of the whole tank. I would of thought water went to the top with an over flow what over flowed went to bottom tank the over flowed to the sump so realistically  4 holes but this has 5 and the 2 holes in the base glass in the weir etc i suppose not ever owning 1 etc kinda has me abit lost. Not sure if the base plate hole would be fill or return etc

This last image is the best I think for our needs.

Does the top tank have a hole though the back on the right like the middle one ? If no then place that tank at the top and plum the pump to turn to that.

I think there are wholes below the weirs which you can add pipes to allow the water to drop between the tanks and the sideways pipe to the sump.

Yeah righto so how it is in that photo run it like that. I get how they work etc its just that 3rd hole im guessing it might just have been a bad thought with the previous owner so he has sealed it off.. its ashame the 3rd hole isnt lower or i could of plumbed it so it was a drain for w/c. What glue do you reckon or just silicon? Thread tape on bulk heads?

What plumbing glue is ok to use and being a 2nd hand tank ive scrubbed with a watered down vinegar was and rinsed well should i run anything else through it once setup to ensure that nothing bad is left over if there was something left over

Archived