Tropheus moorii Yellow Nkonde

boonahsider

Hello Everyone, T. Yellow Nkonde is one of the endangered cichlids of Tanganyika. This specie of Wild has been banned collection from lake since Dec 2014.

As well, we have not seemed them in Oz for a while. Luckily, I've got a chance to pull them in before New law applied. These are 3-4cm German tank raised imported

by Aquotix Aquariums. The following photos are taken on the day that they come in. At the moment, they are in 75g grow out tank. I will update more photos later.

Thanks for looking

nkonde_1.jpg

nkonde_2.jpg

Nkonde_3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recent update photos of Tropheus moorii Yellow Nkonde.

nkonde_1_zpsjskge0m8.jpg

nkonde_2_zpsmuky6gpv.jpg

nKonde_3_zps4hasdbyv.jpg

nkonde_4_zpsfrmd7pbw.jpg

Very nice, I had 7 colonies 7 species all up, quite some time ago,,,, that crazy hale storm we had that popped craters like tablespoon size dents,,,, clusters of suburbs power went out, I was in the group of suburbs most effected with 18hrs down, come back on for about 8hrs, then went of again for 16hrs and middle of night stuff,,,,,, massive breed room full of big rays, 130 breeder parent tanks,,,,,,  second time power went out, it was just after I left work.

The Tropheus colonies I had were big colonies in smallish tanks, heaps of rock to so less water holding oxygen.

But I still have about 6-7 Nkondi purple left, they look like yours but a mauve flush through them,,  every year or so I see one fry sometimes appear, so still hope,,, this colony was 32 fish and the most prolific breeders I've ever kept of Tropheus.

No doubts about, Nkonde compared to other Trophs, is a much more inquisitive fish, unless I'm seeing genetics differences  showing, also a lot less flighty in every situation.     Nkonde get that soft glow look...... 

Just to add,, I noticed one fish you have there with a broken diagonal bar, if you have the heart have you thought to remove it ?.

Because it could be annoying in the fry outcome and have these in the mix all the time, and even worse if it's a performing female or stud.

Just to add,, I noticed one fish you have there with a broken diagonal bar, if you have the heart have you thought to remove it ?.

Because it could be annoying in the fry outcome and have these in the mix all the time, and even worse if it's a performing female or stud.

I have never heard of people kulling Tropheus for poor barring, I know its done in Frontosa and some other fish, but the people who do this are doing it for personal preference rather then genetics. There is no proof that it is a sign of poor genetics.

Any chance of a few pics of the Nkonde purple? I have never seen or heard of them. They sound sweet.

You saw my view differently to what I was saying, I did say they are very nice.

A bad bar like that, has nothing to do with the quality of the fish, unless majority showed like that, and that would make me want straight barring on all.

All these fish are likely related and brother and sister,,, each sector of genetical expression is called a allele,,,, now this is what many people have never understood,,, people repetitively say interbreeding or brother and sister parents results in deformity,, it absolutely doesn't,,,,     Usually in other animals and these fish in the wild, more distant blood lines cross rather than direct brother and sister,, but for Malawi and tang fish, brother and sister is still a often occurance in some species.

When there is a genetical fault in the allele of a fish/animal, the opposite sex involved in the reproduction will be a distant bloodline, and the Allele in this individual is more than likely Mickey Mouse, and the good gene cancels out the crappy deformed gene (most of the time).

Occurance of deformity is a complete random that can happen to any individual at any given time,,, unless we talk about disease related deformity, and this can alter expression,,,, and with inherited disease that's more dominant genes throwing high percentage probability.

But essentially, should a individual have a fault in its reproduction effecting offspring with deformity, then it breeds with a brother or sister that likely shares the same traits, then both the alleles that match up have same fault codes,, so they express close on 100% deformity.      Mutation takes a similar coarse, another one people get confused with.

The allele I was just talking about, could be say, the allele for the expression of a rounded perfect jaw line,,,,, if your fish are breeding lots of crooked mouths,,, this means they are a offspring colony, and most of them share the same fault being a genetic fault in the same alleles as each other that keeps matching up,,,, dividing both sexes and adding to another line also divided up,,, then first time they breed, keep the fry and get rid of them.

But back to the story,,,, nope, a few different indivuals is nothing wrong,,, I purely meant the point of view of probability of higher percentages of fry with broken diagonal bar outcome, and some people when buying may be put off, especially display with some people.

But I've always done that, get 15 pieces of one specie of German stock, cull one or two that looks 2% off.

Ill try to get pics, most of my fish aren't like others peoples, mine are all fine and happy till something not common is in front or abnormal to them behavior.,,, oppositely,, for example, a got a big colony of Protomelus annectans, I literally can't stand in front of tank to long,,, they nose the tank wriggling urging me to feed,, they get more and more violent, till water is splashing and one jumps or they spook the hell out of each other,,,, but none of my tanks have lights, breedroom has sky lights and ceiling lights that come on at 5pm and goes of at 11pm.  130 parent tanks,,,, .  My plan is to fasten a action quality camera on my hat,, clean all my tanks glass faces,, and do a recorded feeding session which takes over 1.5 hours and flat out,,, I will be doing this, just matter of time,,, you all will be very spun out..... ?

If a bad bar has nothing to do with the quality of the fish why suggest culling it?

Being the small number of fry produced and the size of this, I would say they aren't all brother/sister.

I already told you my friend,, the aspect of a sales point of view when trying to sell fry, as some people (not me), would pass up or ask to exclude the mutations in their purchase,,,,    for me in my personal tanks (not breeding tanks), the mutation wouldn't bother me to keep it.        Selling fry to cover costs or whatever.

I got a maingano female with a jet black tail, I never take her fry,, it's a controllable situation,,, but tropheus are bit harder to determine what's going on, who's holding, what sex, they all look same.

Well I'm not going to go making guesses what the pic looks like as to wether they are offspring from brother and sisters,,,,, my words spoken were purely general consensus of usual circumstances....

The subject I drifted onto was Alleles, the deformity gets passed to offspring from second or most history brothers and sisters from other batches,,,,,,, as we all know Josh,,, most fish in our tanks are in most cases inbred,,,,, you little defier you lol ??

• 3 weeks later...

Those are nice fish ,  I'm one of "those" people who just flat out won't pay for fish with bad bars . I went to a lot of trouble sourcing good quality Ps. Demasoni years ago , wasted a lot of my time and upset a few people who's fish didn't meet my expectations . It's worth noting not all fish in the wild have perfect bars and what not , just comes down to personal preference ;) 

Thanks Brez for proving my point, myself as a breeder wouldn't want my sales being limited in any way, and a percentage of people are like you,, and either way is ok.

Those individuals with irregular will throw more replicas of the mutation,, if it can be stopped by plucking a few individuals, then why not...

Have a careful read of my words,, some people seem to get a little eccentric with these topics.

Only, there are some people that don't like it, that has no reasonable answer for not liking other than they just don't like it.            So myself as a breeder, I wouldn't want to limit my sales by having people of the explained nature, not wanting them.

Thats my reasons for not wanting them as my breed stock (only the one or two with badly crossed bars).                                           If I was buying them for display only,, I couldn't care less about the barring...

Do you understand this reasoning at all lloydashton ????

I read your post.

If potential buyers are educated and informed about colors as they mature then it shouldnt be a problem. The most perfect and straight bar tropheus fry (once matured) could produce fry with a few bent bars, and vice versa. It still does not change the adult appearance of the fish. 

Your wasting your time Lloydashton. Any Tropheus keeper would be so happy to see these fish back in the country and would not for a second want to see one culled for some misbelief that the barring of fry, in Tropheus, has any impact in the adult coloration or quality of the fish.

The Experience of the non-believers is irrelevant this time.

Each to the their I guess.

Different opinions don't need to be seen so adversely,,, it's choices that are in play here that's the actual determiner.

Different situations call for different measures all the time,,, I get some people telling me I'm contradictive,, this is simply because they're not understanding.

In the case off these abnormal bars,,,,,,, If I had a group of 8 or 10,,, I'd likely not touch and just leave the mutation in the colony, as I wouldn't want to lessen chances of a workable colony,,,,,,,  On the other hand, if I had 16 or more, I'd pull out one or two with tainted barring.

But again,,, there's nothing wrong with this blood line in this thread, as its perfectly normal to have this in any given percentage of fry.       In some species the barring on females may be prevelent at times still, or any fish of time of stress bars can show.

People who keep jumping forward to react as if it's a negative point in some way,,, I see it as a process that gets carried out in constant selection work, no matter how good the fish already is.    That's the beauty about fish keeping, it's just never black and white.

Sorry i should have written a more explanatory post, it was supposed to be in jest and a little humour but from others point of view it would just read as a stupid comment. I do agree with Buccal on this matter for very similar reasons but that I must say i have zero experience with trophs, sorry again for my silly comment.

Well there'd be a certain percentage of people that would likely say that anyway.

The perfect test would be out of 10 sales, keep letting the customer catch there own and see if people just naturally want to leave them and choose straight only,,,,,,,,.     It's just that these days fish turnover seems to be slow out there, and every little benefit counts.

The more experienced the fish breeder, the more onus to selectively breed quality fish in our limited  (and small) Australian gene pool. It's amazing the number of "expert" breeders I've met that don't cull a single fish. Mostly because they haven't even considered it. And most think swapping stock is the best way to get quality fish. ..? 

Yeah, not done enough,, fish tend to be classically higher in offspring count compared to most animals, so it to me does make sense to remove the mutating individuals.

At the same time, I do understand that people go to the trouble of sourcing quality fish like these nkonde in the pics,, not often seen, and cost a bit to,,,,, so the way one would hold value or even view these fish would be very different to the way I do, because I'm a large generator of fish,,, if a aquarist sees one or two mutants, or deformed fish occur every so often,,,, then you can surely imagine if your overall fish kept was times by 200,,, that would be 200% extra occurance of deformity and mutants,, it becomes very clear it's a natural occurring thing that helps contribute to adaptations for survival sometimes to.

Once all this takes place for a while, you become desensitized, and culling has no factor of feeling in it,, it's simply a practice to steer the fishes traits in the direction that the general aquarists consider quality,,,,, different people like different things off coarse,, but there's always general consensus,,,,,,.  ?

Archived