filters

Bradc

im after opinions on canister filters, i need it to be able to pick up 2m above the canister filter base itself.. are there certain brands that do this better etc and how will it affect the LPH? cheers in advance

Back in the day in my opinion Eheim were superior to everything else with Fluval a little behind, having said that I have not used a canister filter in quite some time, what I do remember is most filters would state outrageous flow rates, 0 head and an empty canister.

Having a high head will definitely decrease flow, I think these days the literature associated with filters will state the maximum head height, 2m may be pushing the friendship.

Yeah i thought so but let me pick your brain .. most canister filters ive owned used etc are about 500mm to 600mm tall so from the top of the canister to the top of the tank is probably going to be anywhere from 1300mm to 1500mm in length.. i wonder if a big GPH filter would have trouble with this ? Also is it possible making a sump filter without drilling etc ive seen over flows set up in tanks but i didnt pay enough attention last time i seen one and dont exactly know how they work .. ill do some research now i guess .. trying to build breeding rack set up but want to make it like a dual display tank setup and trying to not go over 1.8m to 2m is being hard because of the height of my canister filter

Can't say I've ever put any thought about this, but will LPH really be affected?

Think of it this way, the cannister will be below water level, it is closed loop, won't the "head" be the distance from the top of the tanks water level to to top of the glass tank?

I'm sure there will be a slight loss in LPH due to additional length of hosing, but I'm not sure there will be loss due to "head".

A sump pump on the other hand will be a different story.

As I said, have never thought about the topic until now, but makes sense to me..... Doesn't mean I'm right ;)

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yeah on a few other forums im in its created abit of a debate as to how it will go .. i havent got any glass or anything yet so ill more then likley go a sump .. unsure on the whole process as ive never had 1 but will be interesting non the less

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run an eheim 2260 on 2 x 6ft x 20in x 20in and the top of that stand was over 2m.

flow rate will decrease on height but i found it was negligible for the 2260. 

Archived