Pinched belly Oscar

Big T

Hi,

I have a mature oscar about 20cm who has a pinched concave belly between anal fin and tail.

The oscar is eating and behaving normally and i can't notice any abnormal faeces. Fed with NLS and Hikari pellets. Other fish in the tank are normal fat and healthy.

Any tips would be great.

Looks a bit on the skinny side but not enough I'd be worrying yet. So long as it's eating and pooping normally.

In my experience when you have Oscars - the dominant fish has to be consistently overfed for the rest of the tankmates to always be 'full'. I'm definitely not saying that's the thing to do. Just that the dominant fish will consistently overeat (to the detriment of itself and others).

I agree with the Ducksta,, as I've noticed in the past his description.

Try having two different foods that have completely different boyances,,, like, one that floats or very slowly sinks and the other to sink very fast like lead (possibly cheap 6mm algae wafers),,, and even flakes that float gives a different dynamic to.

The dominant one or ones will always concentrate at one level pigging out, while the weaker ones will naturally file off to the other level where there's food.

Your fish may need a week or so to get use to the food getting to or being in places it's usually not.

^^^ I do exactly this. I feed a mix of 4 different pellets - not alternately but all mixed together - and try to throw food in a couple of different places so one fish can't get it all.

The negative aspect of this is much more splashing to clean up. 

I feed a mix of floating pellets hikari gold,sinking pellets nls thera A, sinking vegie disk and once a week I'll throw in some adult brine shrimp just to watch the whole tank go bananas.

The albino red is the biggest but he is a big sook. Doesn't eat with as much gusto as the smaller oscar or geos. He is eating, just not what i would consider enough for a fish his size. I thought it may be a parasite or blockage but he poops normally??. He is not out competed for food though. Sometimes the food floats by and hits him in the face.

I will try the advice provided as the current nls pellet is a touch small. So i might get bigger nls pellets and medium pellets for the geos and put it all in with large floating hikari pellet which the other oscar loves. 

Thanks for the advice

All great points ^^^ I would think something is wrong if its not smashing the food!

but just a thought could your albino be a female and could it of just layed some eggs ? 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I thought its about time i posted an uodate. I varied the food (10 different types) and fed heaps more with larger more frequent water changes (80% weekly). The oscar appeared to be eating what was put in the tank but not smashing it like the other one. Always plenty left over after the oscars lost interest, which the geos mopped up.

No real significant change in belly.

BUT i also the two oscars have been displaying what i can only describe as breedin/courting bahaviour. No nest or eggs as yet.

As of today Big Red looks like this:

20160811_125759.thumb.jpg.1dc51239be300e

Pic of selection of food used:

20160811_125504.thumb.jpg.854a92a09179fb

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Archived