Fine sand and fish suggestions

kemst

I am thinking about a tang tank and am considering some sand sifters, shell dwellers and similar.  I have setup the tank (no fish yet) and have used fine sand as the substrate.

is there any reason I shouldn't use fine sand?  I have access to sand from a Quartz sand quarry (washed several times).

any advice or comments would be appreciated - as would any fish suggestions (thinking about multis?). It is a small and tall tank AR620t so fish that dwell on the bottom as well as higher up would be ideal.

pictures attached.

thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice, sand is nice 

my suggestion would be 

2 x altolamprologus  sp,

4 x Julidochromis sp,

4 x Cyprichromis sp,

4 x similis or occies or Multies (in that order)

there is one more fish just can't think of its name

best of luck keep pics coming

Thanks. Great to have confirmation no schoolboy errors.  I managed to convince my daughter to let me select the fish for this (her first) tank... and I've always wanted a tang tank so two birds... 

Fish suggestions are awesome...now off to try source them...

When I set up my mbuna tank I used a mix of coral sand and marine lime sand, a very fine sand that easily gets suspended in the water column with the fish's every movement. It looks great but the suspended sand makes it very difficult to clean the tank glass without also scratching it.

I shall be sticking to heavier/coarser coral sands in my next tank for this reason. Having said that, the tank pictured already looks heavily scratched so you might not care too much at this point. :)

Archived