Help identifying 2 fish

brogdenelian

Hi guys,

I have 2 fish that I'd like you opinions on. The first Iam assuming is some kind of linebred Dragonblood perhaps, but the concave nose seems odd.

The second fish was sold to me as a Lethrinops Kande Island.

Would love your opinions.

Regards Josh

Fish No. 1

4e8b0c605fc721be939ede479bf2bb06.jpg

Fish No. 2

bfb6daaeb62d22692de14cd55c840787.jpgaf29f82b408b5cba8295f53145d332b2.jpgddc430e0d23312116f5a58d4938e8a80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look like x breed assorted Africans that were selling around the shops from Asia

that were full coloured at 5 cm

first is dragon blood/pink Peacock that appears to have something else in it

second has a lot of Venustus in it but the head is too rounded - hope you didn't pay

Lethrinops Kande Island price for it

"Hope that he didn't pay Kande Lethrinops price",,, first thing I thought to.

Premier pets (bay fish), take the throwbacks (blue peacocks), that come from marble peacocks and dragon bloods, also anything suspect gets thrown into the group also,, they then label these on their sales lists as "assorted peacocks",, so in turn the shops label their fish as assorted peacocks,,,,,,,,, anything to do with assorted peacocks must always be regarded as hybrids and could be anything,,,,,,,,

In truth they are imported as "assorted peacocks". Some wholesalers re-sell as what they are imported as. Some try and split them up into what they look like. Either way this is why  a massive % of Peacocks in Australia are hybrids.

^^^^. No it's not,, it's because to many people favor backyard breeders over reputable breeders and shops,, it's the novice fish keeper that puts his fish into trade scene that gets the fish wrong,,, that is the issue.

But I've never seen or heard of getting assorted hybrids and label them as a pure specie,,, they'd go down fast for that,, some average little crappy shops have lack of knowledge,, and people do make mistakes to.

Because cichlids are not being shipped from overseas anymore, because the process was made to expensive in order to cleverly stop the trade, .   Unfortunately we will see hybrids and poor quality become more prevalent.

• 2 weeks later...

this is why almost all of my fish are species only tank.ill only mix species that I know wont xbreed.it does have a lot to do with backyard breeders (even though that term can be used two ways) but still if I see a breeder with a community tank that's selling fry I first look at what else is in the tank then I make my judgement ive only done this once and it was when I first started in the hobby.ill only buy from reputable breeders or a shop and theres only one shop I buy from.problem is a lot of keepers who think they are breeders will breed and sell their fish usually very cheaply and then are sold and the cycle begins again.not enough education is the problem.

Archived