Haplochromis SP - Holding

Jaredc

Hi, one of my Haplochromis SP's appears to be holding but im unsure if i should attempt to catch her and place into a breeding net or just leave her be, Id like to keep the offspring so i was just after se advice as this is my first cichlid fry ive had to deal with? 

20160712_184337.jpg

Jared you will need some sort of container for the fry if you don't want them eaten by the other fish

what are they looks like a Victorian type Haplochromide so guessing SP44 thickskin

if no other tank this will do short term ...  fry saver you can buy them or make them

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fry+saver

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on everything so fare I'm not a big fan on keeping fry from a display tank if there is any chance of cross breeding between other sp I know you said you most likely be keeping them be sure to keep or cull (worst case) 

only saying this as there are to many bad  speciments here in Aus due to bad breeding 

don't mean to offend there might be no fish in your tank that can cross just saying

best fry saver diy Iv used is a 2lt ice cream container with squares cut out with flyscreen stuck covering the holes hole with pipe sticking through with air line creating flow into tube 

il try find mine and take a pic !

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips. Due to my inexperience / ignorance i left her in the net for a couple days before making a saver on the weekend but i was too late she spat the fry and as mentioned all were eaten through the net. 

Archived