Advice - Juli Species - Which ones are recommended

Hi all,

In the planning stage so I was just hoping for some general advice, also do not mind personal preferences, on setting up a 2ft (or maybe 3ft) Tang tank with a colony of Jullis. What I would like advice one is which species is best in regards to ease of buying, breeding and general care?

I previously kept a Regani species in a 2ft tank and this worked out ok and by chance I was lucky enough to get a male and female who did breed. Unfortunately I did have to left them go. I am not against having Regani's again but just would like to know other peroples views. 

I do live in Canberra so will probably order some through a LFS who I have very good relations with and the owner does know their stuff.

In regards to setting up a colony, more than likely from juvenile size, how many is best to order, noting they will not be able to be sexed at this age. I am not in a hurry so will happily allow them to grow. I probably will need to house them in the 2ft tank for the time being as the 3ft is currently being used to hold some South American cichlids until I can upgrade them into a 4ft tank. This probably will not be for another 3 months or so.

I was planning on using some coral sand for the substrate as I already have some of this available. I also have some rocks left over and will use them to create a nice rock formation with plenty of caves. I will buy a good internal filter suitable for a 3/4ft tank in order to provide adequate filtration. 

Any advice is on any matter is always welcomed.

One of the best displays I've seen was a 2x2x2 cube with a colony of Princess Cichlids

It had a big pile of rocks in the middle....and pairs with fry all over it....fry and juvies every-where

I thought it was spectacular

Julies are also step breeders.....if you sell off each batch of fry you have missed an opportunity

I like the smaller ones....ornatus...or transcriptus"bemba" looks interesting

I feel that a species tank is the best way as they all use the same area and structure to breed

so they will compete for territory

N. Brichardi are nice except when they are breeding and then they will kill anything that can't

get out of their territory and I'm talking fish 3 or 4 times their size

People think small fish small territory and put them in a 30cm tank that gives no escape room if

anything breaks down between the pair or group

Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to upgrade to the standard 3 foot tank option (approx 150 litres) and will only go with one species.

Aniother question for you all. If I go go with a Juli species or the lelupi's how many should I buy to establish the colony, noting they will be juveniles. 6? 10? 

I do have room in other tanks if I need to re-house a couple of specimens at a later date once they are a decent size.

Ps: Agree about the N> Bricardi they are holding their own against 10cm+ Frontosa when the Fronrtosa stray in their territory. 

Over the years i have bred lelelupi, mustax, several variants of julie and cylindricus. I always bred them in 2x18x18's species only tanks with great success. I always bought 6 juvies to get pairs it worked a treat. If you want a little more interest in a 3' tank you might be able to get some shellies like gold occies.

Cheers

Rosco

• 1 month later...

I used to keep and breed most julidichromis species. The best success was 3 x 18 x 18 sized single species tanks racked end out with back getting afternoon sun. This created a thick wall of sheet algae on the back and sides but easy to keep front (end) clear. Pile of slate at the back. The fish would always stay near front for food and vie for your attention but retreat to the back for privacy when breeding. Was very easy to know when fry were coming and algae makes great first food and produces vibrant colours. I went a step further and placed sloping glass bottoms to front (false bottom tanks) so I could harvest fish just by dropping water level without having to remove slate. Any slight re- arrangement disturbs their breeding as they need privacy.

Racking tanks end on also makes for economy of space. Easy to put 30 tanks where only a dozen might fit. 

This type of fish keeping isn't for everone but julidichromis do best with neglect and just letting them do their own thing in my experience. 

After reading this thread i think I'll put my regani pair in a tank on their own and see how they go . They breed regularly in my 8x2x2 but never seen to lay many eggs . I've never tried saving the fry , it's a lot of work stripping the tank for so few fry 

image.jpeg

Archived