Products

Bradc

Hi guys and gals just wondering where you buy all your filter media products like purigen and chemipure blue. As the LFS wants $54 for 11oz of it and ive looked on ebay etc and can get the same for about $21 but is there any wholesalers or ozzie companies that do it cheap and post? Thanks guys

I ran purigen/macropore for a while but my water parameters showed no improvements so I gave up on it, I tried it in bags and tumbling, others may show different results but my tanks are just as clear without it.  Macropore is the cheaper of the two.

I have had similar experiences to Sam. When Purigen first hit the market many years ago I was a young student working in a fish store. It was the latest and greatest product so naturally I had to give it a crack as we stocked it and I liked to use products that we sold to give people real first hand experience. Always putting a lot of effort into my filtration and water quality my water has always been 'on the clear side'. Subsequently I noticed no real difference in my water quality or clarity and stopped using it after about 6 months of use. I am not saying it is a bad product, or that it shouldn't be used but I don't see the point if your filtration is on point.

I only see these products as something for balancing back out tanks and result in the water quality levels that a very experienced fish keeper can achieve.

If a perfectly balanced tank, water changes, water chemistry, all maintenance, temps in relation to feeding amount, stocking and the list goes on, is maintained as it should combined with knowledge, purigen just isn't needed,,,,,,, but in saying that it can be viewed as a tool,,,, the activated media is a excellent polisher, so in situations of creating acid waters for gear like discus and so on, then some tannins occur in the course of chemistry adjustment,,, purigen would strip it straight out.

If one had a small filter that was a little to small for his tank, the purigen could absorb a lot of stuff that the little filter couldn't cope with.

Doesnt take much to appoint a tank correctly tho.

Ok guys ive bought some macropore now i need a quick response please. Do i just put as much as i want into a stocking or is there a limit to how much v how many liters my tank is .. im about to do my canister filter clean out and would love a quick answer cheers guys

Also im not using it to help my parameters at all ive got a constant 0ppm across the board my nitrates never go over 20ppm each week and my pH is consistent at 8.2 i use the same procedure every week at WC time with my malawi salt and bicarb and prime as my only buffers .. im literally doing this to see if my water will go like glass and if it doesnt it means ill need some new lighting.. this is just a trial ive this tank going well for a year now with no problems just wanna see if water clarity is improved as so many people on other forums reckon cheers

Well, if your water perameters are that good as you've indicated,, why would you need macropore ?

And with nitrates that low,, wouldn't the water already be crystal ?

Im not being funny.

Clarity.. ive been doing abit of research and ways to get it crystal clear .. as ive said its only a trial as i wanna see if it will be even better .. isnt that what we are all trying to achieve. Im fairly new but i test my water ever wednesday and change it every friday night saturday morning and it always tests the same since being cycled.. have i upset you by using the product? Ive only read good things about macropore and wanted to know if i add as much as i want to a stocking or have to go on grams in relation to gallons of my tank. Thanks for the input but.

You can use it if you like, many seasoned users just do not see the need, it is up to you, I am quite sure you cannot over dose with macropore so go sick young man!

Plecosam said some perfect words.

Myself, and a few others that are very experienced I know with one being Alex, a mod on here,,, doesn't run any fangle dangle,, and I can assure you our crystal clear water can't get any more clear.

BALANCE is the important factor here,, because without this,, somethings that's in excess has nothing to be a part off and essentially becomes waiste that overloads your system as visible excess,

Secondly get yourself out of thinking you've upset people or reframe from yourself being upset what people say,,, as all of us whack up this info the way we see it or experience it,,, the info we inject to these sights are a library of knowledge which can be used as a tool to assist yourself,, you take info and use it if you think it's good,, it's not about who's correct and who's not (unless someone's of track and certain info isn't correct),,, but when there's many ways and doings, it's just info you can use if you like, or not.

What do I think about macropore,, I think it's a marvelous tool to have on our shops shelves,, for those that want to break the rules a little, like over stocking,, get busy and can't do maintanence for a while,, or a beginner it's great for while they are learning the sciences, then stop use once they perfect the practices.,, maybe a tank set up in public by a service that relies on things like macropore to cut down the returns for maintenance,,,,,,,

So, see what I mean it's a great tool.....

Macropore does every bit it says it does,, but it can't fix a problem that doesn't exist in the first place :).

The mainstream of Fish keepers seem to have their tanks almost perfect but juuuuust not quite, and stuff like macropore will take you to the top level,,, but experienced people with hearty knowledge can achieve this without the aid of what I call super pore lock in structured absorbents.

Just take a look at Alex's pics on here of his bass,,, I don't even think people using macropore could get their tanks as good as Alex's and he doesn't do macropore.       And trust me dude,, peacock bass and stingrays are the biggest challenge I can think of when we talk about water clarity.     :)

Your doing nothing wrong mate,, just enlightening you about the subject :)

Thanks for the info .. trust me i take all on board and read as much as i can and try and learn. As i said it is just a trial as i havent used anything like this before and was curious .. ive had it in my tank now 3 days and i really cant see a difference and wont be using it next time i do my canister change .. but i did notice a difference in my 10 gal dirt tank and will be using it again in it .. its all trial for me and i have found out exactly what you said .. as for my water seeming like it could be clearer i am now convinced its my lighting and are now looking for a good LED light.. if you have suggestions for lights please let me know because im using tubed lights 1 is blue and one is white and i think its reflecting off my white substrate. 

And like i said thanks again for the info its does sink it but seeing as i had bought the product i had to try it lol

Macropore is best used in a reactor, but trust me tumbling it is a pain in the bajezuss, I would not spend money going down that road but if you want to give it a go by all means.  Before tumbling macropore I used a vacuum bag sealer and used the large bags designed for purigen, the sealer sealed them up nicely!. I had macropore bags, 4 times the size of the little purigen bags, I will admit I thought I was pretty cool that day!

Haha,,,.   It's handy to have great mech medias that also extract toxins, set in spare canisters or other set ups but not in use.

If you have visitors, and they got you at a time when you have a few particles in your water column, you can flick the switch and its its all clear in a hour,,, very handy for that,, when I was young I use to do a similar thing but with a big barrel of carbon instead.

With your light, you may be flooding the tank with to much bright light,, my advice on lighting clashes with everyone else's statements,,, but if your talking fish that are blue, green, yellow, red or orange,, then the powerglo fluorescent tubes are my best by far in front of any other,,, but black and whites and subtle faded colors in fish are better under LED lights.

The powerglo in the purple box is the one for me,, the light should be at the front quarter of the tank and double or triple them up to increase brightness,,, the remaining rear half of tank should remain dark at best or at least darker than the front,,,, this makes the fish glo in foreground as background is darker.

Many people these days think a good light is how bright it is which means LEDS,,,, I see all the time washed out colors in fish because of this,,,, I believe the aim should be a light that shows every color variance and pattern in one fish.

Archived