Frontosa with float

brucem

I've had a couple of Frontosa suffer from float over the last 18 months but they general go back to normal with more regular water changes and extra Epsom salt added to the tank.

However I've had a fish now with float for at least 4 weeks with no improvement in condition despite the treatment I've administered.  In fact, she is eating less and getting weaker and her abdomen is very round.

I've seen a couple of YouTube clips taking the drastic step of inserting a hypodermic needle into the rounded belly of the fish allowing air to escape.  I reached the point where I could see that this was the only action that could get the fish back to normal.  She hadn't eaten for 2 weeks.

I bit the bullet tonight, caught up the fish who has been in a hospital tank for 3 weeks, and placed her in a bucket containing her tank water.    While she was underwater. I manoeuvred her onto her side as in the YouTube clip. I lifted her out of the water briefly and inserted a 0.6mm needle.  Knowing the there was air inside, I gently pushed the needle in.  I lowered her back under water.  Once the needle was about 10mm in air came out. Quite a bit of air!  Gently massaging her belly away from the point of the needle more air escaped.  Once no more air escaped I removed the needle.  Her belly is very sicken but she no longer floats.  She's back in the hospital tank.

I'm now treating the tank with Myxazin to reduce the risk of infection. I will add salt as well.  Is there any other post-operative care I should give her that people can think of?

In fishing tournaments (where you might needle a fish to relieve barotrauma) a lot of guys use a product which seems to me to just be epsom salts and methylene blue.

It sounds like you're probably doing what you can already. 

Had and did exactly the same thing, released the air.

I think they just get constipated, and when bowel movement ceases, it starts to produce gas,,,, it's likely the reason why Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) seemed to help,, because it works as a laxative and flushes and detoxes fish,, it flushes the fish very well.

but be aware that excessive or over use can over relax the fishes bowels and make them reliant on Epsom to relax their bowels to excrete,,, there be constipated fish everywhere then lol.

Archived