Pictus tank mates?

Bradc

I recently bought 2 pictus for my cichlid tank as i have seen alot of people put them in the tank with them. Now im wondering once the cichlids get wind he will give them a nasty beating if they keep going with they start to leave him alone ? My cichlids are mainly juvies and the pictus is probably 1.5cm longer then the biggest cichlid so im assuming he should be ok ? I tryed making some hiding spots for him but everyone i create the cichlids find and give him curry any suggestions are appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Pictus are generally pretty hardy and active catfish. The dynamics of every tank are different. Many people can house this combination successfuly, just keep and eye on them and see how you go. Pay special attention to their barbels, as nippy little cichlids may see them as a target. Pictus will also do a good job at cleaning up fry in a mixed community tank. win win. 

Hey mate since the post ive had success with both of them in the tank ive realized if i feed my tank mates and introduce the fish of a night and turn every light off come morning everything is swimming as if nothing was added.. i really like the pictus they are very active and nice looking cats if i did a angel fish tank or something id buy atleast 4 of them i reckon

Yeah they do well in small groups, and provide something different with their antics. 

Depending on the size of your fish and the suitability to your tank P. ornatus are another fish relatively similar to pictus that you could consider. They grow larger than Pictus (max out about 30cm) and more expensive (usually retails for around $100-150).

Archived