Hybrids

Bradc

Hi mate 

all mouthbrooders will cross with each other 

one thing the yellows and hongie are also in the same genus I personally would have those two together if your trying to breed and on sell 

if your running a display tank all good 

but back to my first statement all mouthbrooders will cross

cheer 

Craig 

a8002ffbc4ef69449b4a0cb5b44b4822.jpg

Given to me as a freebie this "hongi" started off as a 3cm yellowish looking fish that looked like it had been fed some colour enhancing food. Went through a colour change and is now this dark purple grey liability.

I suspect you would end up with similar - nothing close to as nice as a pure strain. If you are curious you will need to be prepared to grow them out for upwards of 6 months, and in the case of mbuna with yellow females you probably won't know until there's a substandard male a generation later, so you really would be better off being certain of the parents at day 1.

Brad the P saulosi and L. caeruleus will definitely cross breed. It is highly likely that it will also cross L. sp. "Hongi". 

You shouldn't keep Labidochromis species together as they will also cross. 

Here is a video I found   

yeah ok ive got no real interest is stripping and selling or retaining any in an effort to see what they look like. i just bought a lot of juvenile fish and they are starting to mature and thats the end result .. will evetually take males and put in my 6ft tank once its setup and running as a display tank with a few bigger african cichlids like venustus etc .. thanks for the info though people .. i double checked again over the past few days and either the females have swallowed the eggs or spat them either way im not to fussed treating my 3ft tank as a holding tank till i have enough mature fish to go into the big tank then ill make it a species tank i reckon

Archived