Cichlids won't breed

killerhusky

I have a male crimson tide Cichlid and 2 female Crimson tide cichlids. The male chases the two females around all the time as if he wants to breed with them, however the females just swim away and don't breed with him. The water conditions are perfect and I'm sure there are 2 females. I've had them in the same tank for 2 months. The male is about 13cm and the females are about 8-10 cm. so why don't they breed already the male seems interested and has even claimed a territory and has dug a pit. The two females now just keep evading him and hiding. Can you guys give me tips on how to get them to breed and maybe explain why they won't breed.

These fish can be aggressive, and that's why the females are keeping out the way because it's likely the males pressure to breed is causing stress.

With these situations it's best to have a larger group as the aggression is more spread out and females are more at rest,,,, hiding spots to retreat also helps.

If your trying to get a good fry count to start your own larger colony, I'd suggest seperating the sexes and once you see females egg tube start to distend, then put the male back with females, they'll instantly spawn.

Try to have 15 of these to a colony.

• 2 months later...

ive bred these in small groups 3f 2m never had issues..enough places for the females to hide will suffice with gd water changes and gd diet. I usually had 2 females holding at once.you said your water conditions are perfect?what is gh kh etc etc

When I was keeping them, I had 1 male and 2 females. Bought them off from John @bexley as trio at 4-5cm. Males showing the crimson red/yellow, whilst females show the black strips and more of a goden yellow sheen. They bred like a rabbit. One point, I even thought gaving my females a break from breeding so bought another female from lfs. My male constantly chasing the new girl to breed but unfournately she die after 3 weeks. Josh is right!  making sure there are 2 females in trio. 

Archived