New tank

Bradc

Hi all my name is brad and ive just started up a new tank after about 3 years of not owning a tank i use to have a few cichlids but unfortunately i never got into it as much as i would have liked .. so ive had this new tank running for about 4 weeks while it cycled and used some quick start in the tank to help speed things up abit .. i finally got my tank stable and added some lake Malawi mbunas (love the character of these fish). Now ive got just a standard 3ft tank with a canister filter that turns over 1200L an hour. Ive put in 3 hongi, 3 red empress, 5 yellow labs, 4 striped obliques, and was thinking of adding 4 yellow tailed acei once i see if it will handle them (probably wont). Had the fish in the tank 4 days in total and just done a mild water change of 40L so probably 30% water change. One question with all of this, i added some quick start and water agent to the fresh water i put in, im worried about doing big water changes straight up because im a little unsure if my tank is stable enough or if im doing the right thing .. i raked and cleaned the gravel as well amazing how much they have dropped in 4 days .. just looking for a few pointers to keep everything spot on cheers!!

I wouldn't touch the gravel, rocks, decoration on a new tank as bacteria will colonise those surfaces. Water changes are ok and even beneficial if the test kits detect ammonia and/or nitrite.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

How long would you give it before scrapping the gravel i read you should do it so it doesnt compact and hold matter which creates ammonia or nitrites but on a new tank didnt read anything

Do you have ammonia and nitrite test kits and if so what do they say? That is the best indication of whether the tank is fully cycled.

15 fish in a new tank is a lot. Make sure to feed sparsely.

Yeah ive got no nitrites and had some nitrates starting to show before my water change hence why i done the water change .. just bought ammonia test kit today but havent checked it yet .. and ive just been feeding 2 pinches of pellets twice a day on weekends and once a day during the week and havent had any spikes etc so far .. pretty confident in my cycling of the tank i was just concerned in removing good bacteria from the gravel by racking it and was also concerned i might not have had enough bacteria to handle adding fresh tap water which would have ammonia or nitrites or what ever tap water has straight up .. i find myself doing alot of research this time around with having an aquarium maybe because ive recently bought my 1st home and i dont have to worry about moving my setups haha .. already price bigger tanks and more tanks .. can see the missus getting the poops with me soon haha

Archived