Recommended Cichlid suppliers in Melbourne

Spuznik

Hi All,

I am looking at getting back into Cichlids, although the community has certainly dropped off when I was last involved I do see several options for a tank.

I am putting together a 3 x 2 x 2 with sump filtration etc. Planning on having a species or colony setup, but really wont to get some quality specimens. Preferable F1 or second generation.

I see several retailers with WC and F1, but you pay a premium on these, so I guess I am looking for some recommendations for either a good supplier or members who have a good rep for quality fish.

A few possibly selections would be a peacock tank, males only.

Tang tank or Mbuna

Thanks

Tim.

As above Keysborough have the best stock but Meng has sold on to a new owner who has limited knowledge on Cichlids so time will tell if that is maintained. Also you will pay for the quality fish but worth it IMO. I have also bought from Barnseys Cichlid Heaven recently and they are great, you can find them on facebook. Bit of a drive and the fish are mostly juveniles but Devon knows what he is talking about. Finally Evalife in Frankston I have found to be good with a good variety and the owner has good knowledge.

Everyone else I have found to be hit or miss with regards to Africans, for example 2 of my best and oldest Peacocks came from TVS but most of my fish are from Keysborough, Barnsey or direct from breeders. I avoid Amazing Amazon at all costs, tanks of hybrid or 'Mixed' Peacocks makes me angry.

Cheers,

Jarrod

• 1 month later...

We went to Keysborough a month ago and wasn't impressed, we have been long customers of this shop and a big buyer from there over the years (spent a few thousand dollars on imported fish), so we will give them a few months to settle in and try again but if it's the same then sadly we will be looking elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that think Alex was banking on continuing business with Germany have heard he has recently put signs up in shop that this ain't happening.

New people into bussines, maybe not understand certain things realistically.

Also, no one ever said fish can't come in from Germany any more,,, it's just to costly combined with tiresome efforts to get them hear now,,,,,,,,.     So you can still get them, but you better be serious with a fatter wallet.

Archived