Heaters - need some help

tootie

Hi Folks,

I've used eheim heaters in my tanks throughout my years of fish keeping. In the last couple of years I've had several of the heaters not turning off at maximum temperature. Luckily to date I've found this in team before my fish become toasted. I need some new heaters and am now a bit wary of using eheim.

What's your experience with heaters? What do you currently use and what make would you recommend? 

Thanks Shirley

there was a problem with them years back but current ones are supposed to be OK now

I have been using them for a few years and they have been fine, most of my tanks are in a heated room but

what size tank are you looking at the new heater for

It's been in the last couple of years I've had the problems.

Still using Eheims I already have.

Need to buy heaters for a 2x18x18; 3 4x18x18

it cost a fortune last year for electricity but no heating and shed has heaps of gaps so the cold gets in.

Any alternative ideas Chris

Space invader one brand is called,, it comes in a spray can and flexitube,,, you squirt liquid foam into gaps and the product expands as it drys and fills gaps thoroughly,,,,, it dries similar to polystyrene.

you said your bills are getting up there, so you must have a few tanks all up......, so, row up half the tanks, and the higher they are the better, then form a skinny isle as much as you can bare for movement walking between, then form another row using second half of tanks,,, also ensuring the view sides both face inwards to isle,,,,,,, directly glue sheets of polystyrene (20-30mm minimum) to the outer sides of tanks and both sides which would completely encase the lot so you can't get in,,,,, build the sides up past head height or enough clearance above the top tank to get access,,,,,,, at one end of the encasement, cut yourself a door way with a coarse hacksaw blade,,,,,, put glue along top edges of the side walls built and drop your polystyrene ceilings on,,,,, drill a 50mm hole at the bottom and glue a 50mm pvc sleeve in there,, this way you can pass the appliance cords through.

rest can be your finishing touch.

polystryene is very effective and closing gaps,, as Chris already mentioned,,,,,, there is a second thing that has a considerable impact on improving efficiency,,, is in the space your working with, is to have the most water possible and least air space as possible,,, reason for this is that tanks are like big batteries, they retain, retain heat,,, which in turn radiates back out into the air.      

Simply to say, make it so you generate the heat and it stays,,,, when the heat escapes it means you have replace it and that's where the costs begin.

Archived