Dead yellow tail acei urgent help

killerhusky

Hi, so today I replaced the gravel in my Cichlid tank with coral sand I took all the cichlids out and from the moment I took my 2 yellow tail acei's out they started swimming upside down. But the 3 Crimson tides and 6 electric yellows were quite fine. Once I finished putting the sand in i popped all the fish back in and the electric yellows and Crimson tides were fine. However about 1 hour in the tank one of the yellow tail's started swimming erratically and banging against the glass and all of a sudden he was upside down and dead without any gill movement. And I threw him out later after 1 hour the other yellow tail acei was upside down and dead as well. I'm confused because all the other fish are fine and I wonder why these ones died. And can you tell if the rest of the fish are going to be fine and the reason why this has happened. 

Thanks guys.

Sounds like ph shock. New coral sand, especially if it had not been washed would cause the ph to be really high compared to what it was. Maybe when you took them out it was into water which was different from tank water? Take most of the coral sand out and do a water change to reduce the ph closer to what it was, then add the coral sand over a day or two. Some individual fish will be fine with a big rise in ph, but some it will kill them. Once they swim around normally for a couple hours you shouldn't have any mystery deaths, if all you have put in the water to buffer is coral sand . .

My ph before the change to coral sand was 7.6 and now it is around 8 is that enough to kill a fish. The electric yellows are swimming around quite fast and the Crimson tides look fine and I also did a a 50% water change. I added stability and Api melafix, with a dose of prime. Is there anything else I can add because there colours are quite faded.

Yes you did, the fish should have gone into buckets with water from the tank. Everyone has to learn at some point so do not be two hard on yourself.

Cheers

Archived