Covering aquarium cabinet with vinyl sheet

malawi sand diver

Hi all

I'm thinking of modernizing my aquarium cabinet.Just wondering if anyone else has done this sort of project before. I would like to make the cabinet doors push to open type doors and covering the whole thing in vinyl sheet like this guy did in the pic below:

20120904_210106

My aquarium cabinet is painted pine stand at the moment. Has anyone tried covering a pine cabinet in the 3m vinyl sheet (or similar vinyl product) before? And where could i get it - from bunnings?

Thanks Rob

Oh ok, this stuff has a sticky side.

but if you google how to wrap carbon fiber, you'll see how the sticky stuff is installed, and the blacks you can get to.

I guess the contours of the cabinet will determine ways of doing.

It is also super expensive! 2 meter roll of it is $180 at Autobarn! I want to do the bonnet on the sons Datsun in it.

For a similar price as covering the whole unit you could get a kitchen place to make new doors and  a end panel, paint in high gloss paint and you could install them.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

It is also super expensive! 2 meter roll of it is $180 at Autobarn! I want to do the bonnet on the sons Datsun in it.

For a similar price as covering the whole unit you could get a kitchen place to make new doors and  a end panel, paint in high gloss paint and you could install them.

Only the carbon fiber is expensive because it's a real carbon weave.

The black stuff kept on the same shelf is not carbon and heaps cheaper.

I don't even know if the vinyl wrap that is sold through the auto spare parts stores will even stick to timber long term. 

Kitchen cabinets and alike that are wrapped are usually thermoformed or vaccumed wrapped and  both sides of the "plastic" are joined to form a seal. With the "automotive" wrap you would need to over lap the to get a good seal. 

2pak would give a permanent seal that lasts a lot longer and would look a lot cleaner and neater. 

Well, it wouldn't be adhereing to timber,, it would be sticking to the product that's already on timber (varnish).

So the timber doesn't need sealing or protecting because it's already coated in a product.

The actual contours is the limiting part.

And I do have the feeling that, sand diver wants to leave in position and do this as a easy exercise,,, but if there's vinyl that you can use with a heat gun then that sounds good.

Obviously taking it into a mob to get 2 packed or alf bunted  (oven baked) from granular beads, will give a prestige look, but cost, time and effort is all increased.

Thanks for the info guys. I would be leaving the cabinet in place and just removing the doors and then wrapping the both doors and cabinet. I dont want to spend loads of money on it though, that is why the wrap is my preference at this point. I will check out some options and keep you posted with what I decide for the project.

Cheers Rob

Archived