Bullied Electric Yellow

Paulcha11

Hi guys,

One of my holding yellows is now suddenly sitting up behind the heater in a vertical position. She has been holding for about two weeks now. I have noticed some of the dominant males hanging around her, maybe even pestering her. Is that the reason she would be hiding? Why would they be harassing her knowing she already has a mouth full? I'm thinking of pulling her out and milking the fry and putting her back? Is this normal behaviour? 

I have only 15 yellows currently in my 600 litre tank with numerous hiding places so I don't think the tank is overcrowded. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul 

Hi Paul,

Male mbuna are randy buggars and really don't care whether a female already has a mouthful, they just want to breed constantly whenever they see a female. Most likely she is trying to stay away from them. If she has been holding for 2 weeks the fry would be developed enough for you to strip her safely.

I use floating contraptions in my breeding tanks to give my females somewhere to hide when holding or even when getting harassed. I make them from black plastic slotted ag pipe used for drainage, you can get a 20 metre roll of it from Bunnings in various sizes, I like the 50mm. Just cut it into lengths around 15 - 20cm with a hacksaw and tie it together at the ends with fishing line. I generally make a 2 level structure with 3 pieces on top of 4. They also make it easier to catch holding females, just check she is in there and catch the structure in a big net :)

Cheers, Doug

Also, don't forget the deep maternal instinct these fish have.

Its basically now any day she will release her fry,,, she will naturally hang out in areas where fry can be released without being eaten by others,, in the wild they have plenty of quite spots to do this,, in your tank the fish are all crammed together.

Also other fish in the tank get to know a due to spit holding female spits out a mouthful of fry which is the tastiest treat for everyone in the tank.

Always record the day when you first notice a female hold,,, 14 days later pull her out and strip the fry,,, this is how breeders operate,,, if you notice fry aren't completely formed it's totally ok as long as they can swim, but if your noticing your a bit early, just start stripping another two days later.

Fry that are developing in 27'c that form in 14 days,,, will take 16 days to form if the temp was 25'c.

hope this gives you some bearing to successfully operate.....

Doug/Buccal,

Thanks fellas for the great feedback. Some worthy tips and all completely understandable when you take it back to their prehistoric maternal instinct and means of survival. 

Will try the ag pipe idea Doug for future holds as it seems as soon as I strip a female the very next day almost there is another one holding!

Interesting on the differing time frames according to different temps Buccal. I knew things grew quicker in warmer climates but never thought it would relate to fry. Good to know.

Once again cheers guys.

Paul

PS On a different topic, Doug I've PM'ed you in regards to some Saulosi.

Archived