Male dancing but not spawning

jcsongei

I have a trio of Otopharynx spots sani in my display, and they spawned three days ago, with quite a mouthful from one of the girls. They kept getting interrupted by a trewavasae that came in to eat the eggs, and I watched towards the end and the male spots sani then was eating them as she was laying before she could get them.

Now I notice the female that is holding has puffs of what I assume is yolk coming out of her gills, so I guess she is eating them as they may not have been fertilised, despite his dancing around.

Now he is also doing quite a dance with the second female, she has emptied herself, but has no eggs in her mouth. He is eating them before she can. The troublesome trewavasae is sparring with him a little but he is getting fended off before any spawning can take place.

I will be able to separate the trio to a different tank soon, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this and you think he is scarred permanently and will always eat them?

By the way the trewavasae female is holding as of two days ago, and the male has fathered before with her so knows what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read what I've written it seems the best course of action is to separate them to their own tank and see if a less stressful environment gets the boy acting how he is meant to. Will post how they go next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that alot from my fronnies hoping that they are gonna spawn but next day later, it was like nothing has happened.

Don't know what it means when the male dances and chases the female alot and especially not eating.

Archived