starting to build tang tank

roosy

That's actually a well done job there..... Be good to see more stuff like this on the forums..

Is that steel frame the tank with ply sides ?,  because it looks much like it.

Acrylic or glass panel ?

You going to pass 30-40mm pvc short lengths through the rear of the model and set your Fiberglas weave around the roughened (abrasive) up pvc pipe. ?

Because it would make your plumbing much easier and attractive (concealed with plush lids no cannister or sump pipes).

This looks awesome.

What are you planning on sealing it with? 

Ive considered a tank a little bigger than this to replace my 8x2.5. It would be great if you would continue to share the build and associated costs etc ?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys it is steel frame with 25 mm ply inside, I normally ply both sides and put 50 mm foam in between steel work for insulation, but this one is for me and wanted to see the steel work on outside of tank. I also normally fully fibreglass inside and outside of tank but instead I am trying a product from duram called cryso-flex. I am also trying 30 mm acrylic screen for the first time as a trial to see how it holds up to scratches.

So that's the duram waterproofing ?

What is it, rubber like, plastic like membrane, or a two part product ?

And cost ?

Well into the future I'll build something of 10k liters, using a welded steel frame with a hot dip galv,,,, have a fiber cement board  base fiberglased, then all sides are view panels using 12mm frameless pool fencing glass.

At 10,000 liters and 800mm high is a huge foot print.     Stingrays.

Great size tank make sure your floor will hold 

Also seen same build very nice set up but would say try have plumbing through the bottom if your confident it won't leak pipes out the side where too much for tank is so big

P.s like your hight of your tank build it's gonna be amazing viewing display

• 2 weeks later...

screen installed and in position. Time for sand,rocks, and plants. Just going to run twin fx6's for filter system. And hang led lighting above tank

WP_20160502_17_05_14_Pro.jpg

This does deserve allot more pictures plz.

Man i would love to see this build, i also watch DIY channel.

I havent spoken to Ming for a long long time, how is he?

• 1 month later...

Awesome tank mate. I'm building a ply tank too, i was just wondering if your waterproofing would be ok with large americans cichlids, as it is a rubber membrane and americans have nice sized teeth that could pierce the membrane while they are cleaning a surface to spawn? I was going to use a two part epoxy but they are extremely expensive and not as readily available in australia for pond purpose seals. My tank is 12ft × 1m × 1m internal.

20160613_160819.jpg

20160613_160805.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived