Sump size

chopstick_mike

Hey guys I've recently purchased a 7x2x2 tank that came with a sump .

The sump size is just under 3 ft X1.5x1 3 chamber layout a2baeea8ee9cc46ae1eb5a213aab5018.jpg I've put sintered glass noodles and coarse sponges in it and am transferring about 35 vics and mbuna into it just wondering if this sump will be good enough for the bio load

It is a little small for my taste, but could be one of the few instances I would recommend marine pure spheres, you need to add efficient biological media due to the smallish size. The sump for my 7x2x2 is 4x1.5x1.5, a little overkill but heaps of room for media, you will need to keep an eye on for evaporation in the pump section of your setup.

Personally I think the size will be ok for media. Bigger is better but you'll get by. 

To me the bigger issue with small sumps is overflowing in power outages. It means you have to be incredibly careful with your water levels. Too much you'll go over when the pump stops. Too little and your pump runs dry after a small amount of evaporation. 

Hi guys Ye in the process of install an automatic top up system , I'll prob stick with this size sump for a bit if it's ok until I save some dollars to get a custom one made as well as upgrading to pond matrix thanks for the input I've tested my syphon break and it works perfectly and won't overflow my sump so I've marked the side of sump for future reference

Ideally the sump would be a but bigger, since you have a lot of room under there to use, I agree with you its worth looking at upgrading to a bigger one in future.

I have a 6 foot sump (1 foot wide, 1 1/2 high) for my 10x2x2 which holds a lot of matrix and allows for a bit more flow e.g. using a 10,000 litre an hour eco pump at the moment. Its a bit noisy though with that much flow, but it works well. The other thing I like about big sumps is having a lot of extra water volume.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think you need to change your baffles the first one needs to come up an inch and your second one needs to go down and cut 100 - 200 mm off your second and third one so it flows like W if that all makes sense and you'll have plenty of room for media and power failure

Archived