pH levels South Americans

Clarky68

What ph levels are you running your tanks at if you are keeping south americans?

I have found conflicting info on the net.

My current tank which has housed my geos and sevs very comfortably for the past 6 months sits on about 6.6.

Is that where it should be? 

Hey there,,, In South America like many other places have many different lakes, rivers, streams, triburatories or whatever, different species or even same species may be encountered in any of these water bodies in the country, and all these water bodies vary in water chemistry and can sometimes be quite drastic.

Ive always thought a PH of 6.5-7.5 is fine, and even 8-8.5 in many cases,,, fish are usually much more tolerant to aquaria ph than what most think,,,,, as I personally always push the boundary to keep the KH GH as high as I can with any species,,, because carbonates become depleted from the activities of beneficial bacteria in your filters converting process,,, this in turn always is driving your KH downwards which subsequently brings the PH down with it, and at the same time, the beneficial bacteria I believe perform much better with higher levels of KH.

Its usually the KH GH you want to get right, the PH will usually adjust its self to your intended PH level after getting KH GH correct.

Rather than trying to find info on South American water chem which will give you conflicting results as you indicated,, research each particular requirements of each specie you have,,,,, you then find a in between average of all the requirements and aim for that.

But direct advice from me to you,,,,, increase your KH GH to 8,,,, your PH will show roughly 7.2 - 7.8, then your good to go.

Youll have to calculate the buffer dosage used for KH GH for every water change for there on after.

Check your tap water chem first though,,,,  if your tank Ph is way lower than the tap Ph, it usually means no where near enough water changes.

Archived