Cichlid with eye injury advice please

CommandoAndo

Hi everyone. Looking for some advice. One of my cichlids has I think been attacked by one of my Deme Comp's and been left with a missing eye. I have had him in quarantine for over two weeks now and they eye isn't healing. It is getting this weird growth on it. Do you think there is anything I can do? Or do I need to put him out of his misery? Thanks!

ad4b22f6dd0fdb25810bb947c746d93a.jpg

Have you treated with anything? Or just separated? 

Was the quarantine talk cycled? 

Is he still eating? 

I'd be treating with salt and melafix first up. But if it looks like a reasonable infection you may need to bump it up to a proper antibiotic. 

A fish should pull through losing an eye with appropriate care. 

Everyone always blames the Dimi comps. They are nowhere near as savage as people think and in my 15 years of keeping and breeding them, I have yet to observe one damaging the eye on a fish over 5-6cm. They do attack smaller fry up to 4-5cm as that is what they feed on in the wild, and their attack method consists of crushing its head. But as far as the culprit for attacking the eye of what looks like a reasonable sized fish in your picture, I would also be looking at other culprits in the tank like peacocks, Protomelas and even some of the mbuna like hongi.

Cheers, Doug

Everyone always blames the Dimi comps. They are nowhere near as savage as people think and in my 15 years of keeping and breeding them, I have yet to observe one damaging the eye on a fish over 5-6cm. They do attack smaller fry up to 4-5cm as that is what they feed on in the wild, and their attack method consists of crushing its head. But as far as the culprit for attacking the eye of what looks like a reasonable sized fish in your picture, I would also be looking at other culprits in the tank like peacocks, Protomelas and even some of the mbuna like hongi.

Cheers, Doug

Thanks Doug. That is actually one of the fish I got from you, as were the Deme Comp's. I was just assuming it was them. I have no proof. Thanks for the input. Mark

Have you treated with anything? Or just separated? 

Was the quarantine talk cycled? 

Is he still eating? 

I'd be treating with salt and melafix first up. But if it looks like a reasonable infection you may need to bump it up to a proper antibiotic. 

A fish should pull through losing an eye with appropriate care. 

Thanks Ducksta. No I haven't treated with anything. I wasn't sure what to treat with. The tank is well cycled.

Would you mind giving me some specifics on quantities of salt etc? I haven't had to treat a fish before. Thanks for the help!

Mark

It's a long time since I  measured a dose of salt. I just dump a cup or so in my next big water change when I've got a fish that looks a bit beat up. 

I think the "proper" dose is one tablespoon per 20 litres. Bit give or take a bit won't cause problems in cichlids.

Loaches and other scaleless fish can react badly to it. Particularly at higher concentrations.

It doesn't leave the water naturally btw. You just reduce the concentration over time with water changes. 

• 1 month later...

Archived