Shell Dweller Advice

z18turbo

Hi All,

Have recently set up a small shell dweller tank in my office and got given 3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus. There are two that are defiantly the same species and look like Muitlis, 1 at about 2 cm and another at about 3.5 to 4 cm but the third is about 5 to 6 cm and has different markings. I have not kept shellies before and so not sure exactly what the larger one is. Please see pics below and help with correct I.D. would be appreciated.

_R2D6889.thumb.jpg.cd296617c5eeef134135e

This is the larger of the trio.

_R2D6917.thumb.jpg.8aab69daa9259d4d1283d

This is one of the smaller pair.

Thanks,

Jarrod

The second one looks like a similis.  Simplistically, Multies are predominantly light with dark bands/stripes, and similis a predominantly dark with light strips.

If you have two similis and 1 multi, the number of bands in the tail can point towards male and female in similis.  From memory males have 4-5 bands in the tail, and female  2-3, so by the picture above you have a male similis and a male multi.

The multi may cross with a female similis, if you have one. So it may be best to separate them.  

Similis are similar to multies in their behaviour, but probably a little harder (less parental care) on their fry than multies.  When I had multies in a 2 ft tank, a starting population of 7 exploded to around 200.  Similis in the same sized tank never got much about 50.

Both are great little shellies.

Thanks for the great advice as always. All makes sense after spending some time looking at them last night the 2 Similis were hanging around a shell that the smaller (I am assuming female) is living in. The larger Multi was coming in every now and again and the 2 males were displaying at each other. I will separate them and the Multi will go back to my LFS when I get home and I will have a look at the number of tail bands on the smaller fish.

Cheers,  Jarrod

Archived