Stocking Guide (amount) on a 6x2.5x2.5 Frontosa tank

SophSixx

Hi guys,

Just wanting some sort of guide on stocking numbers on a 6x2.5x2.5 tank.

Currently stocking 5 WC Ikola Fronts, 3 black Calvus, 1x Gold Calvus, 2 Plecos. 

Just wondering how many (if any) more Ikola I can fit into the tank comfortably when they are all adults. I have a chance to get a second colony of WC Ikola to add to the tank but am unsure if this is too many. (There are another 5 in this colony) 

there looks to be ample room and even though the stock I have in there atm are quite large, the tank still looks quite "empty."

any help would be greatly appreciated.

For me, I like to run my display tanks under stocked or medium stocked. Some people are different and like crazy hypo over stocked tanks. Each to their own and really the filtration is what guides your tank load. You obviously have good filtration to support big fish so its really up to you what you would like to press your filtration (load) too. You will need to remember that the harder you push your filtration the more often you will need to be doing water changes.

Its definitely a nice sized 6 footer and can certainly cater to 10 frontosa. If you are adding 5 more adult fish, I would be spending a week or 2 doing lighter feeding until your filtration catches up with the new (bio) load.

Also if you plan on breeding your fish then you should really consider removing that yellow calvus. Years ago there was a breeder that had comps and calvus together (in perth) that shipped fish to Aquarium Industries  (wholesaler) and freighted what I considered to be hybrids throughout Australia. I wouldn't trust something called a yellow calvus myself personally.

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I don't want to go overboard with stocking but as I said it looks quite bare with only the colony that's in there atm but wasn't sure if having 10 Fronts would be too many for the tank. I haven't thought about breeding, well not the Calvus anyway, they are absolutely magnificent fish though. I must say the Gold 1 looks out of place but I fell in love with him. He is absolutely awesome. 

Sorry for the pic quality, just finished feeding them and wanted to show the size of him. 

image.jpg

Some very raw and real info from Chuck there, meaning it's not debatable, just pure factual.

Calvus or Comps, you shouldn't think in low numbers like 1-2-3-4 is low, because they are a naturally pairing fish and usually most mixed specie tanks will only see a pair,, would be good if you had a sexed pair with a nice big breeding spot like a open shell or hollow rock, just google up things that can be used..

As far as stocking goes, your total max whilst keeping in mind, water changes and filter clean frequencies must be adjusted to suit biol-loads, must be taken into consideration as first rational thoughts, as Chuck indicated well.

The final piece to the stocking puzzle that many newer fishos forget, is research the strata level of the species, meaning, do they spend most time at surface, middle or bottom of strata levels, try to make decisions of not only compatibility but also which strata level of the tank that the fish inhabits to give a leveled out look and a more peaceful commune, and usually this helps to push stocking levels further also, but the strata stocking should be taken into consideration wether heavily stocking or lightly stocking.

As a very raw bit of advice, in general, when stocking at higher levels, reduce mechanical media to increase bio media a bit, but this means more filter cleans more often as the mech media exhausts faster but the bio part of the filter stays in higher working percentage,,,, to further reduce the mech media from blocking to fast increased water change regime helps, more often much smaller water changes directly after feeding, and instead of missing one day a week of feeding, miss two days. ?

Archived