6 x 2 x 2 stocking questions

HarryB

Hi, I've been out of the hobby for a few years. I used to have planted community and marine setups but I've never kept cichlids before. I'm setting up a new 6 x 2 x 2 malawi cichlid tank and have a few questions. 

I was thinking of stocking; 

15 x Maingano

10 x Yellow lab

10 x Yellow tail acei

would this work as a stock list? In larger numbers like this do I need to worry about male female ratios? and should I add all fish together or is it ok to add a species at a time?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Harry...its a great combination of fish but you have alot of fish competing for the bottom of the tank. 

Are you considering breeding or just display?

If it is display and your filtration is ok then I'd consider looking at some mid water or top water fish to fill out the tank a little. You can never go past something like Dimidiochromis compressicep for example for a mid to top water tankmate.

If you are not breeding then sexes shouldn't matter too much. With many African cichlids you will get one dominant fish (that colours up), one sub  dominant and any other males tend to hide in with the girls. I would be careful about adding in all those fish in one hit as it may very well send your filtration into an ammonia (cycling) spike. You need to be mindful of sudden excess load on your filters.

If you are considering breeding then normally I would advise a 2 species tank. One for the lower level, rock dwelling variety and having an open water fish that prefers the top level. You should also try to include fish patterning into your equation if breeding. For example putting a striped fish with a spotted fish etc. edit - it reduces the chances of cross breeding

Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning on breeding just display only. Dimidiochromis compressicep are beautiful but aesthetically I would prefer fish roughly 20cm maximum. Could you suggest any smaller open water swimmers? Alternatively I guess I could just stock 15 x Maingano and 10 x yellow labs 

The mbuna mix you have is a good choice, the yellows and maingano carry on a bit, but your tank is nice and big so no probs there,,, but personally I'd do 15 yellows and 10 maingano rather than the other way around, as the yellow really breaks it up and gives a balanced look.

You don't have to but try and set up three seperate rock formation structures towards tank rear, with swim space in between to define territories.  (Remember to try placing your lights on top towards the front of tank to keep rear moderately darker and see what you think).     The iridescence of Malawis show better this way.

Now, as striking and beautiful that mbuna are, I tend to class them as background fish and filling in the bottom voids for activity.

You can always look at things in two ways,,, natural specie combinations to suit only the fish, or a decorative balance of art/color/structure, which the latter I always push to display keepers and have a play around.

So personally I think the additions to create balance considering color and sizes and fitting behaviors, would be as follows, and don't forget you don't need to rush sourcing your fish, look for the good shizz and get good eye candy.

4x male Phenochilus (Tanzania).

4x Protomelus Taiwan rf

sorry mods and everyone for saying this as hybrids are not to be promoted on these forums as they jeopardize purity in black and white,,,,,,.   2x good male dragon bloods 2x good male marble peacocks,,,, and choose these from non-supa G color enhanced stocks as you could be buying females juiced up looking like males.

to chop things up and put you on a fun chase 4x Rhampochromis chilangali.

5x synodontis multipunctatus.

1x medium gold spot pleco to keep tank sides clean of algae.

This should give you a interesting balanced looking tank, don't go overboard on furniture as space is very important.

Go out of your way to create heavy surface agitation.

whack some pics up if you can as you get close to finishing,,, have fun and try to overcome impatience when hunting down the fish you finally decide on,, as educated combinations always beat chucking together what's avaliable at one place or time.

I had 10xmaingano, 6-8xafra cobwe, 10xyellows and 6-8xbenga peacocks in a 6x2x18 and they looked sensational, all behaved and bred nicely, well the dominant species did.  

The dominant species afra's and maingano bred well but the yellows didn't really breed consistently and benga's only occasionally. I caught the benga trying to breed and caught the maingano pinching their eggs?. So i ended up dividing the tank in half and spring the colonies and got some great results. 

I agree work the mix but with more yellows 

Cheers

Rosco

Archived