Has anyone ever seen....a Black Tailed Tret

Gobble

Hi all

just wondering if anyone has ever seen a neolamprologus tretocephalus with a black tail?

I have some fry and one of them has a black tail. It has always been black. I did a google search and found some images of one (all be it grainy)

Btt.jpg.24d5b7136a93230973b02605e78d3d8d

Ill try to get a pic of mine and upload it

Just wondering if this is a common throwback with Trets

Thanks all

Just pointing out your terminology usage.

you mentioned the black tail fish being a throw back,, it's the wrong term to use.

A throw back is something that re-occurs from history blood lines that is not seen in the present

lines except for a individual,,,  or seen as a percentage outcome.

A few examples,,, a fish with short fins slowly bred through generations of selective line breeding is evolved into long fins.

Occasionally one or a percentage will present as short fins which were there original state. (These are throwbacks).

Another scenario is for example dragon blood peacocks,,,, they are a mix of various locations of the aulonocara species.

When breeding dragon bloods there is usually 10-25% of bright blue peacocks which are culled or sold as blue peacock.

This 10-25% of blue fish are the resemblance of some of the original species used to cross to form the dragon blood, and again continued on through vigorous line breeding. (These are also throwbacks).

Your fish is a clean cut mutant, a random change of color in a place it's not meant to be,,,,,,, by the way, I have a M.maingano with a solid black tail in my colony,,,,, if it was male, I'd remove it as we don't want the purity of its original form steering towards imperfection in the hobby.

Its a female so it stays, I might take fry for my own intriguement, maybe chuck a few in my display. 

Cheers for the correction in terminology Buccal.

So i have a "Mutant Tret" Im planning on keeping this one for a display tank.

Will be interesting to see if it keeps the black tail as it matures. only time will tell i guess

is there a chance it could be nerve damage affecting the chromatophores.or a virus.this also came up on a dewindti in sydney it has since almost disappeared it only happened for a few days its almost normal again it was explained in a post that it only affects the head or tail and can be common in malawis usually only on one side

Archived