Filter media assistance

Mscott19833

Hi Mscott19833

I'm guessing there was lack of any manual or info with the filter

from what I have seen in my web search

Standard method of packing is coarse to fine depending on water flow

I'm guessing the bottom try is the inlet end of the media stack so ...........

bottom

ceramic noodles - ehfimech or similar to catch large particles

next tray up

coarse foam to catch the next size particles when they start to break up

next tray up

filter mat - Dacron mat (you can buy by the meter from upholstery wholesaler but ask if it has any chemical treatment)

top tray

bio media - matrix, clay balls or what ever you choose with a thin filter mat over the top as a final filter

this should give you a general idea ....... you can google how pack a canister filter and it will go here

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+pack+canister+filter

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 11:58 PM, Chuckmeister said:

If I had a an empty filter then I'd fill all the compartments with ceramic noodles except the last one which I'd put in filter wool for mechanical filtration.

I'm not familiar with the size of the canister you have bought so not sure on how much you would need.

I agree, ceramic noodles and some sort of mechanical filtration is all you need. I do it the other way around though, mechanical first, you end up with less to clean out of the noodles come cleaning time that way and they are never too clogged up.

I also use something to soften and lower the PH in my Kribensis tanks (peat moss) but that's not for filtration as such, it's just a good place for it to be effective at keeping the PH down.

Archived