Placidochromis electras in aus

Donny Brasco

Hey guys I have been collecting a few different blood lines of electras for a while and had a go at breeding them for a while but since packing up all my breeders I only kept what I thought to be a promising young male.

The thing is I have seen much much nicer on Google. And youtube and rectly on Facebook from someone in Sydney. 

I'm trying to hunt down someone in aus who is breeding these nice quality electra as mine always seem to be more white and just a single black line instead of some extra faint lines and a blue tinge to its head and body.

Pics for reference the white fish looks like the same as all mine which I had about 10 of them.

And the second pic is one someone posted recently on Facebook which they said they bought from an aquarium in Sydney

Last pic is what I'm ideally wanting to get

Was I just unlucky and happen to have all females or is it a different variety I had?

images (24).jpg

FB_IMG_1454513265249.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I've not had that fish personally myself. I'm sure that if people have experience and can help then they will help.I've not known it to be an over popular fish so maybe the lack of feedback may reflect that.

Colours in fish can be subjective though. I've got several different led's and each one performs differently. Some wash out colours, some have more blue or red that highlight scale colour better. Sometimes people adjust their photos in photoshop, reflections, camera angle etc.

There is alot of difference in that white one compared to the other 2 and by that I mean by markings, the face marking and number of body stripes etc Even the fin colour of that white one is different.

Hopefully someone can help you with a more direct answer.

I agree with Chuck, chasing subtle differences that show among different pictures is like chasing a magical unicorn.

There are many reasons why appearances can present differently, but chasing indivual or blood line variance is another.

But to chase these differences with expectation, then I'd say, to achieve some sort of possibility, then you'd have to buy heaps of anything of a different avenue source and keep growing out to select.

Alternatively do what the Dfishkeeper does, keep selectively line breeding large numbers,,,, I've been doing this for years.

Instead of keeping males and females that mature and stand up first, they instead must be grown right out to full presentation before selecting best traits,, this must be done with every fry batch, and every time your selections are old enough to breed, you must use them as a replacement straight away as new breeding stock.

If people are serious about taking action to enforce better quality after the shipments stop from new laws, then practices like this are a definite must to maintain what we have,, it's not just the matter of just having them.

Maybe someone can start a thread tips and tricks to line breeding and the procedures.

However,,, it does involve more tanks, time and space,,,,, and regardless of the species demand at any given time, it must continue.

The first pic was just an example because I don't have any pics of my fish right now. The point I was trying to make is every electra I have come across in aus all looked fairly similar to the first pic as in just plane white with no real blue coloring at all and like I said that's come from 3 different blood lines and every single fish not one batch that I went and looked out had a stand out coloring male.

But now seeing that someone in aus has a nice little juvies with great color says to me that someone in aus is breeding a descent strain of electra and that's what I'm after.

The point of my post was seeing if anyone had come across this with electras before and if they could point me in the right direction of this quality breeder, sort of investigating if you will.

looks great lithoman, is that your breeding male?

I know im probably just being a picky dudE lol but do they ever look like this for you?

that greeny blue color is what im after and more white to there body, i have seen a lot of examples like this but there normally all from the USA which is why i was thinking maybe its just a strain in USA that has his look to them as all the ones i find in aus dont tend to have this same color to them.

But i may have to hit you up soon for some fish, specially if you have some of those mlotos for sale

db_Placidochromis_elektra_-6-1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Placidochromis electra.jpg

Donny the first pic appears to look a bit enhanced in my opinion

but as mention lighting and photoshop can make the same fish look different

but I don't remember seeing them show that green/turquoise colour

there have been some nice coloured ones in Sydney

damn thats what i was dredding that the aus straight arnt as good but by the sounds of it yours are spot on, ill have a dig through the photography page and see what i find but if your going to take some pics i would much appreciate you taking the time for me man.

here is a link to a vid from youtube of someone in USA mixed tank, and i have seen alot in usa look like this from vids on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwYQvhZbSQ

Better yet, one of your pictures directed me to your photobucket album, and bam, best looking ones i have seen in aus by far.
and yeah as you can see all your holding females is exactly what all my electras looked like, and its not like mine wernt matured and stepped up to be dominant.  Like i said i had some ranging from 10cm up to about 15-16cm but i swear they where all females hahah, i did try to vent them and yeah it was hard to tell but i reckon they all where females.

Either way i have found my source for quality electras, ill send you a pm shortly lithoman thank you

DSC_1570.jpg

IMG_0891_zps996d96c3.jpg

DSC_1316.jpg

IMG_2777_zps4c1775dd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

JPM1976 down at Fairfield had some electra's for sale some time back.

I got some fry from him a few months ago but they still small and havent coloured up yet. (There is a link to a pic of the fish in my signature) 

EDIT: JPM still have some electra's for sale:

http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/2551869.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a stunning strain of electras. The photos in no way do them justice. The green around the head is very pronounced and attractive.  I find they are extremely reluctant breeders. When they do breed it is near impossible to see the eggs/ fry in the females mouth so most batches are missed. Stunning fish and very under-rated in my opinion.

Cheers

298c.jpg

304c.jpg

151c.jpg

132a.jpg

Archived