Substrate Assistance

Mscott19833

depends on what you are looking for colour yellowish, white, black - sand or gravel

a lot of guys use something like filter sand or playground sand

best if you can get some samples to see what it looks like washed and in the tank under water

you can mix coral sand with it to help buff the pH

Agree with Buccal, I use the bunnings sand both river & play, both with great results for years now. Normal river sand is a little more yellow/tan, can get white river sand too & play sand is always white. Brands change but suppliers stay the same.

If you're still not sure I'll be in bunnings in a day or 2 & will try to remember to take a pic of the couple I've used to let you know which are proven safe (in both Tanganyikan & South American setups).

11 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

Agree with Buccal, I use the bunnings sand both river & play, both with great results for years now. Normal river sand is a little more yellow/tan, can get white river sand too & play sand is always white. Brands change but suppliers stay the same.

If you're still not sure I'll be in bunnings in a day or 2 & will try to remember to take a pic of the couple I've used to let you know which are proven safe (in both Tanganyikan & South American setups).

That would be awesome and would be greatly appreciated.

I clean glass around sand with plastic bank card/credit card, flat edge against glass & move slowly ;)

Finally got to do a bunnings trip today, went to 3 different ones looking for a particular slightly orange sand I could get up north but all 3 only stocked the ANL sands. I guess Australian Native Landscapes are the Bunnings supplier for sand in Sydney.

Both the "Tiling & Sandpit Sand" & "River Sand" from ANL at bunnings are perfectly safe to use & if you wash it well both have no effect on water parameters (fine for soft or hard water). I say "if you wash it well" because there will be a little bit of timber, dirt possibly clay, nothing bad for a soft water tank but not good for hard water eg. Africans so wash fairly well if that's the case.

The tiling sand is very fine & comes up white in aquariums, the river sand is coarser & is a more mixed colour in shades of brown/tan.

Sorry I can't post a pic up but the bags are clearly labelled in the garden section, "Tiling & Sandpit Sand" with a pale yellow bag, clear on the sides & "River Sand" with a grey bag, clear on the sides. Both bags have "ANL" on the top too.

To clean it I put 1/3 - 1/2 a 20kg bag in a big bucket then fill with water, whilst filling swirl sand until most/all is spinning freely in the bucket then let it settle for 5-10secs then pour dirty water out. Repeat 2-3-4 times until water is clear after swirling (some "batches" are dirtier than others).

15 hours ago, BigPete86 said:

I clean glass around sand with plastic bank card/credit card, flat edge against glass & move slowly ;)

Finally got to do a bunnings trip today, went to 3 different ones looking for a particular slightly orange sand I could get up north but all 3 only stocked the ANL sands. I guess Australian Native Landscapes are the Bunnings supplier for sand in Sydney.

Both the "Tiling & Sandpit Sand" & "River Sand" from ANL at bunnings are perfectly safe to use & if you wash it well both have no effect on water parameters (fine for soft or hard water). I say "if you wash it well" because there will be a little bit of timber, dirt possibly clay, nothing bad for a soft water tank but not good for hard water eg. Africans so wash fairly well if that's the case.

The tiling sand is very fine & comes up white in aquariums, the river sand is coarser & is a more mixed colour in shades of brown/tan.

Sorry I can't post a pic up but the bags are clearly labelled in the garden section, "Tiling & Sandpit Sand" with a pale yellow bag, clear on the sides & "River Sand" with a grey bag, clear on the sides. Both bags have "ANL" on the top too.

To clean it I put 1/3 - 1/2 a 20kg bag in a big bucket then fill with water, whilst filling swirl sand until most/all is spinning freely in the bucket then let it settle for 5-10secs then pour dirty water out. Repeat 2-3-4 times until water is clear after swirling (some "batches" are dirtier than others).

Thankyou very much, you have been a big helping hand for this somewhat confused at times hobbyist. Cheers all! 

Yeah the credit card one I've never heard of, and sounds the bussines.

another one is, (but a little more involved),,, is a piece of 20mm pvc pipe at 30cm long or to your needed length. Stand the pipe upright and with a hacksaw cut a 10mm deep slot on a roughly 20 degree angle.

Using 5 minute araldite, smear the cut groove liberally,,, then slide a Stanley knife blade in feeding the rear in first.

Youll end up with the blade on the perfect angle to slide the jig up and down and cut the algae of the glass with amazing ease.

I use a paint scraper with 9cm wide metal blade.

Magnetic cleaners scare me, I seem to always get sand caught in it. I also seem to scratch the outside of the glass with magnetic cleaners :(

Archived