Ick on new peacocks

Tree Trunk

Hey all, new to the forums. 

I bought a male and female juvenile peacock cichlid from a local seller and were fine for a couple of days, but upon closer inspection this afternoon both fish had a tonne of small white spots. I assume its ick and was wondering if anybody has had experience with copper medication. I read on other sites that raising temp+salt works well. 

Thanks in advance for the help, Tree.

On the other sites you read correctly,,, that is the ticket.

heavy surface agetation

30'c

back of on the feeding just a smidge.

keep this going for a week and a half.

add salt if you like, but without salt works just fine to.

Once they're all fixed up, try to keep your water temp as stable as possible, make sure it doesn't drop temp at night and raise during the day.

its this up and down that promotes the ich.

Ich is normally in most aquariums. Most fish deal with Ichthyophthirius naturally but in most cases of high stress a fishs immune system can break down and ich becomes rampant. symtoms can include excessive flashing (rubbing against the substrate or decorations), labored breathing, clamped fins, loss of appetite, lethargic and/or reclusive behavior, and hovering near filter returns.

First step is to raise the temp slowly over hours (maybe a degree an hour) . I've never gone as high as 30 degree's as I felt uncomfortable reaching those temps though I do go 28-29 degrees. People do go to 30 so its obviously safe and the harder you can push ich the better as it can be nasty.

I always treat with salt. Its a treatment that not only kills ich (in combination with heat) but helps in slime coat production.

In cases of bad outbreaks then a commercial product to nuke it may be needed.

I'd just like to re-iterate that there are usually 2 ways you introduce ich...the first mentioned is stress. It maybe an over crowded tank, bad water conditions, large temp variations (too hot, too cold or large swings), water variable changes in general, getting harassed etc or it may simply come from a shop/bought fish but stress is the answer to ich in 99 percent of times. If you have scaleless fish like loaches, they are very prone to ich related illness (stress related).

as above but I used Aquasonic Ichaway as it's safe with catfish and scaleless fish

some of these don't react well to the addition of NON iodised salt

as Chuck said the pathogen is in the water and just needs a trigger for the immune system to drop

up the water temp - increase aeration

remove any carbon that you may have in the filter and throw away

if you use a commercial treatment follow the dosing instructions and do a water change at least 30%

at the end of the course and run a second course and another 30% water change - pathogen can only

be kill in the free swimming state so always 2 courses of treatment to the tank

Archived