wave makers

Chuckmeister

I'm curious about wave maker stats. I need a powerhead to move my 5x2 planted tank. The plants grow fairly thick and basically stop circulation from my 2 eheims (both on the same end of the tank)

I've looked at some cheap powerheads and thought I'd try a wave maker instead. Checking out some cheap ones shows these

http://www.thetechden.com.au/All_Wavemakers_s/2043.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=2043&show=30&page=1&minprice=&maxprice=54

My problem before I buy one is that the lph seem high for the tank size they recommend. 1600 lph for a 100 litre tank!!!

my 5x2x18 planted is about 400 litres...what would I be looking at for a gentle turnover on this tank?

edit - its mainly to break up surface film more than anything (without being a cyclone)

You can get a lot of adjustment by lowering the wmaker and pointing it slightly more upwards.

Your right for thinking they seem over powered for recommendations,, but they are not.

A 6000 l/h twin head does a 6x2x2 nicely.

They purely push water and not pump it.

A powerhead pumps a jet thin stream which creates a strong jet turbulence.

A wave maker pushes water in a very large girth, so it's shifting water across in a broad fashion which gives weaker turbulence but still turns over the literage,,,, much better for most situations that doesn't need to deliver water specifically from one place to another.

Google up sunsun wave makers eBay and make sure the product is in oz for the correct plug.

Look for the supplier that supply's a extra component with each wave maker which is a magnetic backing where a black magnetic disk fits to the outside of the aquarium on the opposite side of wavemaker,,, simply grab the magnet and slide to position, much like a magnet cleaner.

Be careful and place against glass then slide towards the wavemaker, as the magnets are so strong they rip out your hand and smack hard onto glass.

They are so strong they work excellent on my ray pens which is timber fiberglass over 16mm thick.

Expensive ones aren't needed as they're just pushing water and not under load pumping water.

Ive got over 20x sun Suns I've had for a long time, not one issue, and disgustingly cheap, thanks China lol.

what would you recommend for a heavily planted tank as in a gentle tank turn around? Fish only is easily adjustable but planted can turn into a mess if its too strong.

edit- looks like 3000 lph the smallest magnetic...very very cheap too though I hope it doesn't whirlpool...just bought one so hopefully its ok !!

edit 2 - cancelled that and got a 2500 lph unit...look forward to giving back the feedback

edit 3 - appreciate the feedback buccal - I know your a fan...hopefully I can see the beifits..

I had a jebao rw4 running on my planted aquarium which was a 3x20x20, worked a treat .. my 2c on sunsun/aquanova/weipro (they are all the same), you'll pay twice for these, i've never had one last 12 months. The jebao has now been running for over 12 months, not a single issue with it.

Where the best place to place them. I have a 3000 l/ph wave maker facing downward across the front of my 5 x 2 x 2 Electric Yellow breeding tank pushing the water towards an Otto 2000 l/ph internal filter which is facing up to break the surface and push's the water towards my outlet for a 4 foot sump 

On 1 February 2016 at 2:40 AM, Chuckmeister said:

what would you recommend for a heavily planted tank as in a gentle tank turn around? Fish only is easily adjustable but planted can turn into a mess if its too strong.

edit- looks like 3000 lph the smallest magnetic...very very cheap too though I hope it doesn't whirlpool...just bought one so hopefully its ok !!

edit 2 - cancelled that and got a 2500 lph unit...look forward to giving back the feedback

edit 3 - appreciate the feedback buccal - I know your a fan...hopefully I can see the beifits..

You will see the benefits mate,,,.   As I mentioned in the past, I have roughly 20 of them running,, and all lasted over three years so far. :thumb

Archived