Small chip on the front of my tank. Dangerous?

Nick_crx

Hi all, just setting up my tank and after eveything is starting to finalise and i noticed a tiny chip on the front of my tank!

Not sure how deep it is, maybe 1 mm or two but its on the inside of the tank. The glass is 12mm. 

Do i need to have the whole panel replaced? 

20160201_080901.jpg

20160201_080923.jpg

Ordinarily I would talk to the tank builder but problem is they built it back in August 2015 and we are only just finishing up the installation in the wall today. I should of picked it up earlier but it looked like all the other little paint specs on the surface.

I only noticed the small chip when giving the tank a nice clean up and they will no doubt deny all responsibility.

That along with the fact it will be a massive pain to pull apart everything for them to come and collect it.

This little dot I can live with as long as it doesn't affect the structural integrity of the tank.

I don't want to instill any fear but I'll share an experience, which til now makes me very cautious around tanks. 

I use to work for my local fish store,  and a client had ordered a custom built tank. It was an 8ft tank, so you can imagine, quite big. 

Come delivery day, all checks were performed no cracks or any fault with the construction of the tank. Everything was going according to plan, and we had successfully moved the tank into the client's house, and started filling the tank with water. 

Half way through filling the tank, we heard a loud crack, a few seconds later,  one of the panel glass started to buckle. Glass didn't shatter,  it was more like an implosion... 

Any ways, I don't know the details of the glass used or how thick it was, it was a very long time ago but the builder has built many tanks and I'd assume that the correct glasses were used. 

Apparently, the reason why the tank cracked was because of the uneven surface to which the tank was situated on. 

So... If little things like this can cause a huge issue, I'd be cautious. 

Thanks guys. Sorry to keep going but ive been inspecting the rest of the tank and im noticing a few more problem areas 

There are chips on the bottom of the tank, its not on the surface but it still doesnt seem right to me. 

The tank builder is well known, highly reputable so im not sure if these imperfections are normal. 

20160201_210729.jpg

20160201_210718.jpg

If thats a brand new tank then I certainly wouldn't accept those. They all look like they should hold up ok, even the ones on the base. They are normally caused by handling issues and not putting the tank down correctly but I still wouldn't accept it.

I have a scallop out on one corner of my 8x3 (from a house move and a lazy removalist, though to be fair it is freakin heavy :P). I filled it will silicon pushed the shard back in and its been running like that for 10 years. Yours is also on the outer edge, I'd be more concerned if it was in the inner edge.

Chips can be hard to assess especially the deeper your tank is (which you haven't mentioned)

Personally I think the chips are fine safety wise but that chip on the side of the tank would drive me crazy

Same thoughts as chuck.

but these damaged are easily done by the owner without knowing they're doing it,, not saying you have done it though.

When a tank gets stored not on a level surface with no foam especially, just like it would on its permanent stand, then any little bit of crap underneath does this damage,

Anyway, doesn't look anything to worry about.

if it's been in storage since Aug anything could have caused the chips

has it been in a place when it could have been knocked

has it been on the stand since you got it

has there been work carried out around it if on the stand

I suggest you contact the tank builder and discuss that you have just got to the

stage you are at and have noticed the chips and see what he thinks

if he is willing to back it won't be a problem in future I guess that's your answer

It hasn’t been in storage, they came out and installed the tank in the wall and it’s been left untouched while we found a carpenter to come and finish the wall.

Yes it took circa 6 months to find a carpenter willing to tackle the job and have them finalise the plans!

I guess if we did damage the tank, the chip would be on the outside rather than the inside.

But yes, I’m going to see if they will provide a guarantee.

think I might take the side of the tank builder

just for the hell of it

six months is quite a while to report a chip.

might have been your responsibility to inspect more closely on delivery? I would consider that to be "sign off"

could have been done by someone, tradie, working in the vicinity?

• 2 weeks later...

I did contact the builder and this is exactly what they said:

They wont affect any structeral integraty of the tank, they would be from moving it back and forth from the move after the replacement panel was done.

The replacement panel was to fix a damaged panel (not their fault)

They cant seem to be bothered to come out and check the tank which I would be happy to pay for their troubles, all I want is confidence I can fill the tank.

I'm assuming I can rely on this as their liability if I come home to 1000litres soaking into my floorboards.

Archived