Fussorochromis Rostratus

Cichlid Pete

Fossos tend not to be super aggressive but as with lots of species there is diversity in agrees ion from one individual to the next.  There are a couple of things that you will need to consider such as filtration on you tank and current size of existing fish. 

Is it any all male tank?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just letting you know that I picked up a Rostratus (approximately 18cm's) around a month ago and he has settled nicely. He is now coloured up and has caused no issues with aggression or bullying. If anything he get's occasionally harassed by my Mkoda White Lips and Dragon Blood Peacock.

Thanks JPM1976 for Rostratus.

Cheers

Peter 

I'm on my 3rd generation Rostratus colony, meaning they grow old or exhaust and I start new colonies.

Also kept in mixed displayed for most of the time.

From what I observed, they seem to be quite peaceful as comparison to most Malawi cichlids,,,, and they remain peaceful for a very long time (more than half there lives).

Once fully matured and 90% + max size they become very boisterous and sometimes fatal in a second, other than swallowing smaller fish,,,,,,,.  So I reckon you'll get 3 or 4 years of age until they snap.

Sometimes if conditions aren't quite right for them, they tend to cower a bit of recloose,,, as a display fish they must be stress free to stay healthy,,,, but if they're stressed slightly long term, then aggression may not be displayed.

Being my third gen, I can't believe how good these colors are now,,, when they fire hard, it's so hard not to look at them, that under base color off black expands a bit and goes bottomless black,,, the green and purple are very electric vivid over the black, not to mention the appealing over all shape of everything.   So under rated, just need growing patience.

A very large display tank : 7 males and 3 females of each specie.       

Rostratus

Phenochilus (Tanzania)

Phenochilus gissel

Rhampochromis macropthalmus

Always wanted to do this combination.

Thanks for the feedback Buccal.

At the moment I think he is pretty happy cruising around the mid to top water most of time, except for feeding where he doesn't care who is in his way.

Hopefully he stay's that way.

Your combination would look pretty awesome.

Archived