frozen fresh fish food

Chuckmeister

look heres an easy one to do 

i use algae gel by nls i add sera flake add seafood marinara mainly prawns squid and mussel scallop and i blend it all together.fish love it and colour is getting better as i feed it as ive only just starting feeding this mix to them it made enough to fill a 45cm by 45cm bag laying flat and spread out to about 1cm thick.you can all argue about recipes as much as you want but im keeping it simple.there will always be some one getting their neck up espec when they think their mix is top notch but to others its a fail.maybe if you all experimented with recipes that others use then lay your opinion down.the bitching that goes on in this hobby about this and that is childish.grow up you are hobbyists not friggen professors

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I see that as a very weird take,,,,.   "Bitching about the hobby not professors",, I don't see any bitching on here except the talk of it now.

Your using gel and adding other ingredients,,, yeah it's ok if you enjoy it,,,,, you just said grow up we aren't professors,,, that's a bit contradictive and funny, because it's the professors that spend time in researching for a perfect balance fish diet to design a perfect formulated feed,,, and yet you ignore that to say it's better or as good as in a different way,,,,, different species have different intake requirements, and these needs can be met through using arrays of pellet types.

Ive have super serious experience off physical practical levels,,, coming from hands on,,, and I'm happy to spew every little bit of information I can and not ashamed of it.

And do you know who RD actually is ?, he's not just anybody,,, sure some people get annoyed because of his heavy support for spectrum, but he is scientifically skilled in all departments, and is humble and honest about it.

Be careful who you attack dude, well educated people will fast bring you down.

I only treat others how they treat me,,,,, so who looks like their bitching now ???????    You :confused: or me:8 ????????

Just be aware though when adding comercial pellets or flakes to a frozen food they start to break down as soon as added to water. Ie when mixing the food with water to freeze. This starts to cause ammonia. Im commenting from experience. Made this mistake once. Using fresh or fresh frozen ingredients doesn't have the same issue. Just something to think about.

i did not at mention to who it was directed at 

Malrift thanks for the advice i  mix the flake in at the end before it gets frozen it doesnt get blended like the rest of ingredients it stays as whole flake pieces i know what you are saying though i have been keeping an eye on things.

If there's no mention of who, then most would perceive as entire.

If your going to relate to something or someone specific, then you have to say what or who your referring to. (Precise communication is very effective).

Actually I just re-read your post I responded to, and you did say "maybe if you all experimented", that sure sounds like you mean all of us......     My contradiction sensors are on,,,, this right here is what starts hostility,,, but I'm like Spoc running on pure logic.

"it's only logical"

A recipe I use to make was deheaded green prawns, either nile perch or flake fillets, spinach, banana, fresh garlic and V8 vegetable juice which is full of vitamins. Blend it together and freeze. 

I didn't know it at the time but the potassium in the banana help with spawning and health of the fish. 

I only added it at the time to make the mix go further and it was the just sitting on the bench ao chucked it in.

Yeah banana I've never given any thought to,,,  below is what banana contains so I can see why Mal used this.

I enjoyed researching the nutrients that fruits, vegetables and seafoods contain to stitch together a close to full combination of requirements for the fish,,, the particular ingredients that I thought that buggered up the binding process I replaced with dietary supplement pills from a health shop and also to support a few trace element parts,,,,   but jeez, right now with commercial flake and pellet it takes just short of two hours to feed all my fish going flat out,,,,, back in the day with home made frozen foods using a thick strong combiner (agar), it use to almost take 4 hours and bloody hell Thats like half a day at work for most people, then there's maintenance and fry stripping.

For me these days, it's not only about cost of food or waste cleanliness, but now more recent also speed or time taken to feed.

But for those that have drive or time to make their own food,,, do it, because the process helps you learn a lot about fish nutrition and requirements,,, even if you go back to commercial foods only,,, at least you've conducted a form of study in fish nutrition which is the next most important thing to water quality/chemistry.

DRI/DV

vitamin B625%

manganese16%

vitamin C14%

potassium12%

fiber12%

copper10%

biotin10%

Archived