Mandril bends

maxib

Hi all. This may have been covered before and you can find all sorts of info online but anyway.

I run a canister filter and was unhappy with the 90 degree fittings included to make a 180 bend to go over the top of the tank.I dabble in performance automotive and wanted to apply the theory of mandril bend exhaust systems into my plumbing for optimal flow. 

Get electrical conduit. Pack it with sand and seal the ends. Apply even heat (aviod direct flame) on the area you want to bend and slightly beyond ( I used my toaster). The pipe will eventually behave like a floppy noodle. 

Shallow bends can be done without packing with sand. If your trying to make a real tight 180 bend it will link without sand.

Get your desired shape and cool.

No more 90 degree bends.

i know they sell PVC angle joins but the profile was wrong and I would of had to purchase the jointing glue. I didn't want to buy the glue for such a small project.

this method does have some restrictions in that the larger the pipe the more sand you need, gets heavier. But if your willing and a fussy perfectionist their is no reason you can't put multiple bends in long lengths of pipe.

In all the hardware stores and aquarium shops around the Sunshine Coast a couldn't find any good way to join clear hose tubing without 90 degree angles. I needed 180 degree bend to go over top of tank. 

Archived