Culturing natural algae for fry?

Teamsherman

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to start broadening the type of food I raise my peppermint fry on and was wondering if putting a piece of driftwood in a small container in the sun and letting it sit till it goes slightly green would cause any harm if I'm then to put the piece back in for the fry to feed on?

I really don't want to do it if it's not the right type or a healthy algae as I don't want to lose all of them in one go.

Cheers in advance. 

Alan. 

Get a rubber circular tub (flexible with handles), from bunnings best is white, fill up half way with your tank water from a water change (few nitrates).

You should have the tubs there in bunnings, maybe not.

Get a few thin slate tiles, and smash them to pieces that suits your size.

Place tile pieces in water/tub, in sun, but on consecutive really hot days, then shade for 3-4 hours midday.

Pure nitrogen as a fertilizer in granule form,,,, three to five teaspoons mixed in a cups of warm water and added to tub and mixed evenly.

Pure nitrogen speeds up process well, and is safe to use to grow algae intended as fish food.

• 5 months later...

I use 40 numbered hardwood garden stakes with a hole /wire hook at one end. I rotate these through 8 x 2L clear bottles left outside in sunlight and soluable fertilizer (green water cultures). Each bottle gets 3 weeks of sun before sticks are harvested and more fertilizer added. You can scale this up or down easily. 

I try to stagger the sticks when feeding. Each tank always has an old and new stick. Good for adults and fry. Just hang the wood vertically. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived