WC Frontosa vs F1 Frontosa

frontoes

Is it just me or does anybody agrees that WC growth is alot more slower than F1's?

My WC Kitumba male is growing alot in length however not so much in width which is making him look underfeed or small comparing to my F1 Tembewe which the male has alot more width but not so much in length.

What are your thoughts?

I've never had WC but sometimes your fish can dislike certain environments. For example my tropheus tank despise my bottom tank on my 2 tier. Frontosa can be a little fickle sometimes. Is your tank low? If your ends are clear then it may be spooking them if its in a walkway etc.

I would expect some teething problem with wild caught and tank bred fish though I dont have the experience in WC.. hopefully someone else can come in and help !!

I have a WC and F1 moba. My WC male is the biggest (30cm+) and alpha of the group and he is slimmer around the waist line than the F1 males in the colony relative to his size. However, the female WC don't look any different to the F1 females. I've only had my colony for a little over a year, so haven't observed too much growth over this time.

One thing is for sure my WC male does like to eat small fish! Nothing little lasts too long in there. But while little fish were disappearing, the WC weren't too fussed about the pellet I was feeding. I gave another brand of pellet a go and they much prefer it.

sounds like you got a better WC male than mine Bruce.

My WC male takes minimal food when it comes to feed hence he is alot slimmer than my F1 however it becomes a different story when it comes to WC females, they eat food like no day tomorrow.

How did you get entice your male to eat alot?

Also remember the Wild Caught fish didn't start their growing with special high protein diets and meals everyday. Our tank raised fish grow better, faster and bigger than any wild caught fish would. We also dont know how old a WC fish is, we only buy them on size.
When I had wild caught Tropheus the offspring always looked healthier than their adults. Better color/patterns too, I thought.

Every wild caught fish I ever had was more delicate and demanding than F1 or there on after.

Amazing how f1's pop out so adjusted to the tank life yet the wildcaught parents remain skittish and somewhat subdued untill much later on once settled in if at all settle in.

Wild caught fish would suffer a degree of stress,,,, this stress would reduce growth rate and allow disease to take easier with lowered immune systems.

Some wild caughts settle in ok, while some don't take so well.......

Archived