Fry survival over holidays

luis

I have 8 mbuna fry in a grow out tank that I was planning to move into my display tank. They are about 3cm long now, problem is I will be away for 10 days and I'm unsure what would be best for them.

Do I:

* leave them be, they'll be fine with no food

* set up an auto-feeder in the grow out tank (have successfully used it before with much smaller fry)

* put them in the display tank with an auto-feeder and let them compete with bigger mbuna for food

* ???

Normally I would not be setting up an auto-feeder in the display tank if going away for up to 15 days as long as the fish are well fed, but I am considering it now as there are 4 holding females in that tank that will be needing some food to recover.

Thanks, I'll use the auto feeder for the fry then. According to my notes the females have been holding since 1 Nov (is that even possible)? The male has been very active lately and is always chasing them...

Hopefully they spit soon so I can still get some food in them before leaving.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've now returned, the fry are all well. In fact, they have grown while on the auto-feeder.

In the main tank all cichlids are healthy, albeit very thin (but eating again except for 1 female who is holding). Unfortunately, it was one of my Synodontis lucipinnis (the one I posted about previously) that didn't make it. :(

Archived